Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.
View Poll Results: Who will win?
Sony PS3
70.59%
Microsoft X360
29.41%
Nintendo
0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Console wars: Winner?

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 10:18 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console wars: Winner?

Hello

As the three major consoles have been released, who do you think will be the most successful?

I think that Microsoft will be getting close, but the PS3 will still win unfortunately.

Steve
Old 18 May 2005, 10:39 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

No doubt it will be the PS3 due to the large fan base.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:42 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I had to vote PS3 - but that's not to say MS can be branded as Losers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Nintendo will do a Sega in this round of the war...
Old 18 May 2005, 10:47 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Erm, they haven't ben released?

Why must one be a winner!?! We consumers are the winners because with the introduction of the Xbox, Sony has had to up it's game ten fold and Microsoft aren't a company that likes being 2nd best.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:58 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming winner means whoever sells the most.

Agree - real winners are the gamers like us - healthy competition just benefits us
Old 18 May 2005, 11:06 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Ahh if it's a matter of units sold then the PS3 will no doubt win.
Sony has a lot of brand loyalty and lots of their customers will buy one just cause it's the next one on from the PS2. Just look at how many PS2 owners brought the original one, then the silver one, then the small one.

As for which one will be best, that's down to the quality of the games I guess.
I'll be buying the 360 first, as it offers more of what I want than the PS3 (media centre etc). Although in a couple of year when the price for the PS3 comes down and it's on its third different shaped box I'll buy it
Old 18 May 2005, 11:17 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Yes, I meant whoever will sell the most.

The problem with having two (okay, three but I don't think Nintendo is really a contender) is that the development time and costs are huge for the kind of power these consoles can kick out. At some stage the vision of a unified platform (like 3DO) will have to be true to keep great games coming.

Steve.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:17 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I'll get an XBox 360, but probably just for the eye candy - I haven't been too impressed with the gameplay on a few games on the current box (PGR2 aside) and I'm not all that keen on the controller, but in terms of functionality it'll deffinately get a thumbs up from me.

As for Halo 3 - if it's anything like 2 then MS are kidding themselves if they think it'll hurt PS3 sales.

At least I don't have to go shopping for a blu-ray disc player now - but an HDMI telly? now thats a different matter.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:21 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Over time I'll buy all three, but I guess thats not typical.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:21 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Well, i'll buy both again (costing me a bloody fortune these consoles ), but I honestly think that Sony will release the better machine this time, they have to.

They will have seen how well Xbox did and will want to better it.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:14 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS3 for me

Interesting note on the news last night - GTA3 San Andreas made as much money as last years biggest movie!!
Old 18 May 2005, 12:14 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Be interesting to see who would win if they could play each others games
Old 18 May 2005, 12:28 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

An article I was reading last night was saying that the PS3 is going to be something like twice the power of the XBox 360?
Old 18 May 2005, 12:34 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I prefer my Xbox to my PS2 and I think that will carry through to the next gen versions.

Looks wise, looking at the 2, the Xbox 360 is very nice but its very now and I reckon it will look very dated in a year, it doesn't seem to have much legs long term.
The PS3 however is gorgeous and will definitely grow on people over the next year or so when it will still look modern when put next to the 360.

I'll probably end up with both again and always regret not buying the Nintendo.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:35 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
An article I was reading last night was saying that the PS3 is going to be something like twice the power of the XBox 360?
Thats just the CPU. the nVidia graphics chip in the PS3 is also more powerful than the xbox's ati chip.

be nice to see some side by side specs.
Old 18 May 2005, 12:41 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Can't have Microsoft at the top cos Bill Gates sucks!
Old 18 May 2005, 12:49 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Why does he suck, because he made millions from running a successful business?

He may be a nice chap.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:03 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Remember, most people will wait for the 360 price drop that will come when the PS3 is released, so it's not really about who's 1st to market.

The HD-DVD/BlueRay thing might be an issue, but...

it's about the software.

AAA KIller **** exclusives????

360: Halo 3 which won't be released until the PS3 is. PGR3 possibly?
PS3: Killzone 2 - Halo 3 killer, GT5 - best driving game ever, Next GTA?

At the moment that's all I can see as far as top notch exclusives go.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:07 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Why does he suck, because he made millions from running a successful business?

He may be a nice chap.
lol! He'd be a very nice chap if he gave me a million
Old 18 May 2005, 01:09 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

As the three major consoles have been released, who do you think will be the most successful?

I think that Microsoft will be getting close, but the PS3 will still win unfortunately.

Steve
Why is it unfortunate? The competition alone drives each companies' offerings to be quantum leaps better, Sony had it easy till M$ came along so they've had to up the ante.

Gary
Old 18 May 2005, 01:20 PM
Bill & Mel Gates
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Can't have Microsoft at the top cos Bill Gates sucks!
This is Mel, Wife of Bill. Yes he does suck, but that's a private matter. Big up everyone who voted for the Xbox. I'll try to make sure it's released to you monkeys within a few months of the US launch.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:21 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by papascooby
Remember, most people will wait for the 360 price drop that will come when the PS3 is released, so it's not really about who's 1st to market.
I won't. It's day of release for me

360: Halo 3 which won't be released until the PS3 is. PGR3 possibly?
PS3: Killzone 2 - Halo 3 killer, GT5 - best driving game ever, Next GTA?
Interesting. I thought Killzone 1 was utter rubbish (not in the same league as Halo / Halo 2), so I'm dubious that the 2nd game will be any better. Good graphics alone do not make a good game.... Also, I thought GT4 was ok, but not that impressive. The physics and ai are just plain bad. They'd need to improve it a lot (not just graphically) for the next version to persuade me to buy it.

Also bear in mind that the Spring PS3 release is a jap date. If Sony live up to their normal reputation, we won't be seeing the PS3 until late summer / xmas next year. It happened with the PS2 and it's happening with the PSP, so I don't see why the PS3 would be any different. That gives the xbox nearly a year headstart here in the uk...
Old 18 May 2005, 01:23 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bill & Mel Gates
I'll try to make sure it's released to you monkeys within a few months of the US launch.
But Bill, you've already stated in your press release that it's going to be a simultaneous US, UK, Jap release....
Old 18 May 2005, 01:31 PM
Keigo
Scooby Regular

OK, going off topic with the Bill Gates issue here, but anyway...

Bill Gates sucks because he is one monopolistic, Bush supporting tight-ar$e. He is obviously a great businessman, but his products suck and are way overpriced.

Windows simply sucks. Everytime you try to run a few programs simultaneously, it freezes, and the constant automatic updates harrassing you. Oh, and if you don't have broadband, you can't realistically update all the security loopholes, so you are open to hackers, virus, etc.

OK, not his fault, personally, but Windows really does suck! Get a Mac, and you will see the light

Back on the subject, PS3 for me, and possibly the Nintendo (just for Resident Evil, if Capcom still decides to for the next gen).

Last edited by Keigo; 18 May 2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:39 PM
Bill & Mel Gates
Scooby Newbie

The Mac was more at risk over the last year than the PC. Fact. This takes into account not only the number and severity of the security breaches but also the time to deploy a fix.

Keigo, you need to buy a new machine or learn how to tune your old one, give me mate Michael over at Dell a call.

Iain, this is Mel, Bill's wife, you can call me Melinda. I don't know what crap he's spouting about simultanious releases over at that bint fest in L.A. but I can tell you now it's not going to happen, not whilst I'm his bird.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:40 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Intersting that the XBox 360 dev kits are built in Apple G5 boxes - and the PowerPC CPU from the G5 is made IBM - the partners in PS3's Cell.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:49 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Keigo
Bill Gates sucks because he is one monopolistic, Bush supporting tight-ar$e. He is obviously a great businessman, but his products suck and are way overpriced.
A tight ar$e that donated $250 million to charity last month for research into 3rd world health reasearch etc. He's not all bad you know. Out of interest, why do you think that the Sony corporate execs are any nicer than Microsoft?

Windows simply sucks. Everytime you try to run a few programs simultaneously, it freezes, and the constant automatic updates harrassing you.
Not on my machine they don't. I can run dozens and dozens of programs (and often do) simultaneously with no problems at all. In fact, on my laptop at the moment, I'm running 3 web browsers, a Java application server, a Java IDE, MS Outlook, MS Word, Photoshop CS2, Lightwave 8, iTunes, and Visual Studio .net, all at the same time. I'd suggest you have something wrong with your system.

Oh, and if you don't have broadband, you can't realistically update all the security loopholes, so you are open to hackers, virus, etc.
If you haven't got broadband, you are less likely to be hacked because the connection is too slow. In any case, you can get update cds from Microsoft.

OK, not his fault, personally, but Windows really does suck! Get a Mac, and you will see the light
No it doesn't. Sounds like a typical blinkered Mac user . I've got windows and I'm sticking with it for now. When you can get the same games, software, etc for the mac that I use every day on the pc, then I might consider it. Until then, it's not an option.

Back on the subject, PS3 for me, and possibly the Nintendo (just for Resident Evil, if Capcom still decides to for the next gen).
PS3 does sound cool, but they haven't mentioned any killer games for it yet, and the tech demos (which I didn't actually find that impressive) do not demonstrate how the machine will behave in reality.

I'll probably end up getting all 3, but I expect that the PS3 will get the overall market share eventually simply because of the name and the blinkered attitude of microsoft "haters", not because of any objective reasoning...
Old 18 May 2005, 01:52 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Bill Gates is a very smart businessman. He is also a very generous chap whose charity work should be admired so I wouldn't jump all over him too quickly.

Besides, what has Bill Gates personality got to do with whether the Xbox 360 is better than the PS3?
Old 18 May 2005, 01:58 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Besides, what has Bill Gates personality got to do with whether the Xbox 360 is better than the PS3?
Nothing at all. However, it does demonstrate that some people are so blinkered in their hatred of microsoft that they will blindly go the PS3 route without even considering that there are viable (and exceedingly good) alternatives. This will only help the PS3 sales, and so I'd expect the PS3 to come out on top again.

I do expect microsoft to be a lot closer this time around however....
Old 18 May 2005, 02:09 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I hope MS will be closer this time too, as the Xbox deserved an equal if not better place in the market than the PS2, so it would only be right.

It encourages everyone to raise their game having a bit of competition. I think that the way that MS has implemented and blended the live aspects with the media centre and music player are great. I just hope it connects to my Mac nicely and we don't get shut out on that side of things.

Quick Reply: Console wars: Winner?