Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Appreciate some advice on new PC spec.

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2005, 09:19 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Appreciate some advice on new PC spec.

Currently got an AMD XP3000+ (333) with a Gig or ram which is getting pretty old, it's not standing up to the picture editing I am doing at the moment, and it's pretty old, so I am thinking of upgrading. (And it seems I can sell the XP3k on ebay for the same money I bought it for ATM circa £100 which is half way to one of the bundles that caught my eye)!

For now all I need is a decent mobo, faster chip / ram with more scope for upgrading (current board has fastest chip avaliable). Don't have big budget as I want to spend a lot of money on a hig res Lacie Monitor and upgrade system slowly.

Getting conflicting messages about 64bit from very good to dont' bother.

Was looking at the following bundle from overclockers, I really want a DFI, I know several people that have DFI boards who are very, very happy with them, and reviews seem to be consistantly good.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...4_Bundles.html

Haven't been keeping up with PC market for quite a while, as it normally makes me keep buying stuff I don't really need, so I'd appreciate some specific and genearl discussion / advice on the subject.

Many thanks in advance,

Nick

PS: This cooler looks good too.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...c_Cooling.html

(top one).
Old 10 May 2005, 09:42 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

dfi boards are top notch by all accounts but dont write off asus or abit. my current A64 3500+ is now running at just over 2600Mhz on air cooling. the FX55 flagship chip that AMD are selling for 550+VAT runs at 2600 by comaprison the 3500+ sells for about £120 odds. if your willing to overclock you will need a half decent board and any of the above will suffice. video editting eats RAM so get a load in as it is really cheap atm.

cheers

big sinky
Old 10 May 2005, 10:46 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
dfi boards are top notch by all accounts but dont write off asus or abit. my current A64 3500+ is now running at just over 2600Mhz on air cooling. the FX55 flagship chip that AMD are selling for 550+VAT runs at 2600 by comaprison the 3500+ sells for about £120 odds. if your willing to overclock you will need a half decent board and any of the above will suffice. video editting eats RAM so get a load in as it is really cheap atm.

cheers

big sinky
Current board an Asus and it's pretty dire, one of the first Nvidia chip sets, I am sure it's not the norm, but I would consider Abit, there are some pretty good bundles on that link above.

I noticed the cheap ram, cheapest I have ever seen the market. I'd probably get another 512mb stick of the above bundle!

Are you going to upgrade to XP64?
Old 11 May 2005, 02:25 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

dunno yet, like you i have heard some good report and some dire ones. might wait until they have ironed out a few bugs with 60 squillion service packs............................................. ....then again, i like a challenge the asus board i have atm is the new nforce4 board with the twin 6600gt's. take a look here

also stuck one of these on the cpu to keep temps down. there is a 120mm fan sitting on top of it. noisy as the side is off my rig constantly, advantage being i can now turn my radiator off and my room is still warm
it is sold as a bundle and atm i can fault it. overclocks like crazy even with cheap kingston ram in. i am well impressed by the amount that is crammed onto the board. read the spec, alot more than you want to spend and doesn't include a cpu but for about £500 you could have a future proofed rig (well as near as damn it)

cheers

sinky

Last edited by bigsinky; 11 May 2005 at 02:33 AM.