Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iTunes 4.8 Released

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2005, 06:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iTunes 4.8 Released

Get it here. Or wait a few hours and it should appear in Software Update.
Old 09 May 2005, 07:22 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Cheers Markus, seems there are a couple of interesting new features. The Address book and iCal now synced to the iPod through iTunes? Weird choice. I guess that just leaves iSync now floundering with not much to do other than phones, especially now .Mac as moved out.

I suppose this update will also kill Reals "Harmony" again, and any other Hymn type stuff.
Old 09 May 2005, 07:29 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Having a quick play with this I see we now have a "Play video Full Screen" button? Could it be that we may be seeing the first moves towards a Movie store or at least the bundling of Music Videos with tunes?
Old 09 May 2005, 08:24 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Cheers Markus, seems there are a couple of interesting new features. The Address book and iCal now synced to the iPod through iTunes? Weird choice. I guess that just leaves iSync now floundering with not much to do other than phones, especially now .Mac as moved out.

I suppose this update will also kill Reals "Harmony" again, and any other Hymn type stuff.
I would guess that moving the iPod to Contacts sync into iTunes is to cater for Windows users with Outlook who've previously had to manually export vCards to their iPods since there was no iSync functionality available. Same reason for having iPod photo sync inside iTunes rather than in iSync or iPhoto. They want to iTunes to be the only place to deal with your iPod, rather than having different functions handled by different applications.

I wouldn't really see iSync as floundering - after all it's just got a nice upgrade care of the SyncServices engine and SyncML in Tiger.
Old 09 May 2005, 08:44 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by class_A
I wouldn't really see iSync as floundering - after all it's just got a nice upgrade care of the SyncServices engine and SyncML in Tiger.
OK, maybe floundering was the wrong word, but it has certainly been stripped of a couple of responsibilities. First .Mac and now the iPod. I only have my phone synced through iSync now.
Old 09 May 2005, 09:07 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
OK, maybe floundering was the wrong word, but it has certainly been stripped of a couple of responsibilities. First .Mac and now the iPod. I only have my phone synced through iSync now.
Mine won't even do that until I upgrade to Tiger. My girlfriends SE K700 works fine but my P910 doesn't. It's my bloody Mac. Where's the justice there?!
Old 10 May 2005, 09:32 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

With any luck it'll sort my audio cd burning problem.

Have they remedied the duplicate tracks thing yet?
Old 10 May 2005, 09:41 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I see we now have Video Singles in the store .
Old 10 May 2005, 02:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Yup, there is new support for video playback in IT 4.8. From what i've read, the vids are .m4a but *not* DRM encoded, which is nice.

Would guess the harmony/hmyn stuff will be broken again, but it wont' take too long for a fix for that to appear.

To be honest, I have not actually read the change history on 4.8 (too busy working on our own software releases at the moment)

With regards to it being odd that iTunes is now handling syncing of contacts and calendars, well, if you factor in the iTunes compatible phones that are going to be released, it makes more sense. use iTunes to sync your contacts on your phone with your mac, and vice versa, and also sync the music as well. Guessing the phone would act like a mini iPod type thing in that respect.

Last edited by Markus; 10 May 2005 at 02:54 PM.