Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless networking questions

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2005, 08:45 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wireless networking questions

I currently have 2 pc's, one is connected to the internet via a DLink DSL-504 wired ADSL/router, the Xbox connects thru this as well, the other pc can be connected to by dropping a lan cable to it, I prefer to keep it of the net as the kids use it though this is becoming impracticle as I seem to be downloading game demos and dragging the cable out all the time, dont fancy permanently installing it as it involves going under the floor and drilling and all that messing, hence I quite fancy going wireless seeing as its pretty cheap these days.

1/ So I am correct in saying I need a wireless access point and 1 wireless lan card for the other pc ?

2/ There are several standards, the relevant ones seem to be 11 mbps and 54 mbps, is the 54 mbps worth the extra outlay ?

3/ Anywhere doing good prices on this stuff ?

4/ Or am I better junking the old router and getting a new one, only problem is the Xbox is connected under the floor to the router.

5/ Any recommendations as to what brand/model, any to avoid.

Last edited by J4CKO; 05 May 2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05 May 2005, 10:54 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I currently have 2 pc's, one is connected to the internet via a DLink DSL-504 wired ADSL/router, the Xbox connects thru this as well, the other pc can be connected to by dropping a lan cable to it, I prefer to keep it of the net as the kids use it though this is becoming impracticle as I seem to be downloading game demos and dragging the cable out all the time, dont fancy permanently installing it as it involves going under the floor and drilling and all that messing, hence I quite fancy going wireless seeing as its pretty cheap these days.

1/ So I am correct in saying I need a wireless access point and 1 wireless lan card for the other pc ?
Wireless Router (DLink is good) + Wireless Lan Card (DWL-G650+, again DLink)
2/ There are several standards, the relevant ones seem to be 11 mbps and 54 mbps, is the 54 mbps worth the extra outlay ?
You are kidding - surely ? go for the 54mbps

3/ Anywhere doing good prices on this stuff ?
John Lewis is fair priced
4/ Or am I better junking the old router and getting a new one, only problem is the Xbox is connected under the floor to the router.
Junk old router - use existing cable to plug into back of new router
5/ Any recommendations as to what brand/model, any to avoid.
D-Link has proved to be fine for me
Old 05 May 2005, 02:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers jods.
Old 08 May 2005, 01:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Bought this this morning, seems Sunday AM is the time to buy as I got it for 36 quid and the rest are all over 40 with some as high as 102 quid. You get the Router, a PCI card and a PCMCIA card.

Now just need to hook it up to my existing kit (there no modem in it from what I can see) and hopefully I will be wireless, hoping its just a case of plugging an ethernet cable into a spare port on my ADSL router into this, any pointers gratefull received.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...772917300&rd=1
Old 08 May 2005, 03:01 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Bought this this morning, seems Sunday AM is the time to buy as I got it for 36 quid and the rest are all over 40 with some as high as 102 quid. You get the Router, a PCI card and a PCMCIA card.

Now just need to hook it up to my existing kit (there no modem in it from what I can see) and hopefully I will be wireless, hoping its just a case of plugging an ethernet cable into a spare port on my ADSL router into this, any pointers gratefull received.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...772917300&rd=1
Hello

It probably didn't help (him!) that he placed it in the wrong category. And just having a quick look all his other (wireless) items are still in that wrong category!

Worth bidding on one or two I think ...

As for setting it up, yes you should be able to plug it in to a port on your router. It should then get an IP address, and the other computers should be able to talk to the router.

Steve.