Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cisco routers and firewalls

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2005, 12:31 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cisco routers and firewalls

Can anyone point me in the direction of an eejit's guide to the above? Specifically I need to view and possible amend configurations for the 827 and 837 routers and 506e firewall. Assume I know nothing 'cos that most definitely is the case

TIA

Mark
Old 27 April 2005, 12:51 PM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

Cisco routers aren't the kind of thing you can get eedjits guides for, if you need an easy router buy netgear
Old 27 April 2005, 12:59 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Agree fully, some of the newer Pix firewalls come with a fancy GUI but I never seen one work correctly.

Cisco kit is very complex and it would be quicker for you to buy a standard home use router (depending on what you want to do).

If you really want to learn try to get hold of the Cisco (or Sybex) CCNA trainer. Note this will give you very little hands one, its almost all theory. Then attend the course its serious geek-ville.

Darren
Old 27 April 2005, 01:48 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. My apologies, I didn't give enough info. I've got 2 separate issues going on here.
First, one of our clients has a setup that was configured a while back (way before I got to OZ) that now needs some changes. Specifically, they need some more users to be able to have remote access. They have an 837 router who's role in VPN access is as yet unknown. There's other guys at my place who can give me detailed help but I could do with simple stuff like how do I connect to the device and get an output of its current config.
Second, we've gained a client that has a network that uses the 827s and 506s. The deal here is that we are about to be engaged to provide planned maintenance and before we can commit to a given level of service we need to know the current setup. Again, in depth help I can get just need to be able to connect and grab the config.

And I'm asking on here 'cos you guys ain't in the pub yet and I'm visiting both clients early in the am.

So, it's more a case that I have to learn something than want to.

Cheers
Mark
Old 27 April 2005, 04:24 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I'm not being rude, but how can you support a system when you don't know how it works.

I'll show you how to view the config that is currently on use on the system.

Run HyperTerminal or wicked program called Putty and enter the Internal IP address. Enter the password.

At the promt enter enable (or en for short) and enter the enable password
At the next prompt enter configure terminal (of conf term for short).
At the next screen enter show-running config (show run for short)

This will display the current running config in the window. Then copy and save and read, re read, read again etc I tell you know, it looks like rubbish buts it all valid.

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 27 April 2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 27 April 2005, 11:43 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Darren

Point taken, it does feel that I've been thrown in the deep end with my hands and feet tied but as I've said I've got others who can lead the way provided they speak slowly and write the the instructions in big letters. The routers and switches are only a part of the support plan the rest of which I am happy with.

Your instructions for showing the config are exactly what I need. I don't expect (or even need) to understand what's going on yet. That's up to the others.

Many thanks

Mark
Old 28 April 2005, 03:53 PM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

how did you get on?

the VPN is normally controlled by whichever server has RAS installed(remote access server)

Between this and the active directory(if you have one) you can allow people to vpn in

Trending Topics

Old 04 May 2005, 12:30 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Guys:

Did ok. The router is configured to allow PPTP with RRAS dealing with the VPN
Code:
[
access-list 110 permit tcp any host a.b.c.d eq 1723                                                          
access-list 110 permit gre any host a.b.c.d
What I need now is the necessary entries for L2TP and IPSec.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Mark