Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

A server for home?

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 07:01 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A server for home?

'ello,
Due to someone reminding me that they had lots of RAM, HD's and the odd PC lying around in the office, it occured to me that I could "aquire" a machine for home, to use as a server.

My first thought was "cool", then, now I have thought about it, I'm thinking "why?"

So, why would I want a server at home? I could be all funky and install FC3 on it, and setup mail, web and file services, but do I really want/need that?

Someone explain what benefits I'd have in having a server at home, apart from the geeky qualities of course
Old 15 April 2005, 07:31 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont know then None!

How many PC's at home?

I used to run one at home, but I now use Virtual PC / Virtual Server...

Only thing that may interest you is hosting services and maybe running an IMAP server.

David
Old 15 April 2005, 07:40 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
Thanks, and I think you're right, if I can't think of any, then it's probably not worth it.

Rose and I both have laptops, but that's it for computers at home, so I'm not sure it'd be a benefit for either of us.
Old 15 April 2005, 08:17 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Im looking into getting an old cheap pc, whacking in a huge HDD and wireless card in it. Then just chuck it up the loft. I'll use it as a download box/MP3 server and stream music off of it to THIS which im also looking into getting.
Old 15 April 2005, 09:38 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I've got one, it shares out the internet and also acts as a local server to host my website music on - it has a separate net connection for that part too. I know, money for everyone elses pleasure but it used a lot of our main connection so it had to go solo.

We have it under our TV so we also use it to play movies and music from as the TV acts as it's monitor.

It's a cool set up actually - seeing windows on a 36! widescreen is a bit freaky though
Old 15 April 2005, 09:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Karen,
The 'media center' thing did pop into my head, but then I've got an iPod stacked with music which I just pop into my AV amp.

Guess I could have it sat there downloading dvix movies, then burn them to DVD to play on the DVD player, or just play them via VLC or something and hook the PC up to the TV, hmm.
Old 15 April 2005, 09:48 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Thats what we do... BS player is your friend

Mind you, the server is the 5th box we have in the house, and we are just about to hook up a 6th that we have installed in the garage...

Because we can alright! LOL

Last edited by Soulgirl; 15 April 2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 16 April 2005, 06:15 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I run Exchange server at home - i can get my webmail anywhere, and me & the missus track our contacts and appointments with it. Syncs nicely with her PDA and my phone.
Old 16 April 2005, 11:50 PM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

I have a server at home mainly to run database apps on MS SQL server enterprise, also,i find IIS, web applications, more stable on the 2000 server than XP Pro.
Old 17 April 2005, 12:51 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

AllenJ,

if your running SQL then you should understand why web services between 2000 and xp cannot be compared..

All these people that think a server can run on XP really make me chuckle - not a dig at you though

David
Old 17 April 2005, 03:50 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Chuckle away mate... but when you get your breath back tell me why a server can't run on XP

2k was far more flaky than the xp we run now. Look forward to your expert advice.
Old 17 April 2005, 08:54 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Markus - I was in the same boat. Server, why?

I've got my main PC and an ADSL router - all CAT5'd up. Underneath the TV, I've got my XBOX (running XBox Media Centre) and it's networked to the PC. I've got a ****-orf big HD with all my "media" files, which the Xbox can access thru the router.

I'm about to get a Mac Mini as well. Not just to surf, but am looking at using it as a PVR (with F/wire capture card) - again, networked. I just like the idea of using the B/tooth keyboard and mouse with my big TV
The "network" also has my studio Mac on it - again, this has access to all the HDs for playing the music.
My thoughts were that as I can encode into Dobly, I could it access the results thru the network and play it in, say the lounge, through the AV Amp. The other advantage being that at parties, all my speakers/monitors throughout the house can all play the same music

I thought about hosting all of this on a seperate server, but then thought, "why?" I don't see the point.
As others have said, unless you're running databases, hosting, email etc it's rather useless (IMHO), or it is for what I want at the moment

Soulgirl's just done me an excellent website I could use a server to do my own website hosting, but little need at present. However, I never say "never"

Dan
Old 17 April 2005, 09:41 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Chuckle away mate... but when you get your breath back tell me why a server can't run on XP

2k was far more flaky than the xp we run now. Look forward to your expert advice.
Well yes expert advice it is as its what I do for a living.

They do windows 2000 in a few flavours..

Windows 2000 Professional - For PC's.
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Datacentre Server

hmm..

XP Home
XP Professional
XP MCE

We'll forget 64bit versions for the moment.

so..

Windows 2000 Professional is a desktop operating system It can support 2 processors, multiple monitors. Windows 2000 Server supports 4 processors. Windows 2000 Advanced Server is for high end mission critical platforms supports 8 processors, and supports 2 way server clustering. Windows 2000 DataCenter Server can support up to 32 processors, cascading failover among 4 nodes and 32 node network load balancing.

So If you were in the industry and were an expert then you'd understand why no self respecting server support 'person' would ever - ever - ever install 'a server' on windows xp.

And I wont mention the maximum number of connections on windows xp.

Regards

David
A Senior IT Support Analyst on a Intel PC/Server Support Team for a FTSE 100 company
Old 17 April 2005, 10:01 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
32 processors, cascading failover among 4 nodes and 32 node network load balancing
That should do for my MP3 server, every home should have one what ever it is??.

Last edited by Tim-Grove; 17 April 2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 17 April 2005, 10:15 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

This is David, we are talking a simple home server, not a critical business one
Old 17 April 2005, 10:58 PM
unfeasablylargegonads
Scooby Regular

lol, though we all know that any version of windows is not a "proper" server OS

FC3 would be more fun and geeky + better performace if you are that way inclinded (and legal as I can't see many home users paying for any windows server license)
Old 17 April 2005, 11:34 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

LOL.