Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

WiFi advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2005, 12:16 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WiFi advice needed

I've just upgraded to broadband to make the most of my new laptop. It has built in WiFi but I'd like to keep the old desktop as well for the kids.

I need a wireless router that can supply a connection to both pc's (WiFi to the laptop and wired to the desktop) but also connected the laptop to my printer.

What would you recommend?

Cheers
Old 07 April 2005, 02:38 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I bought a Linksys WAG54G UK wireless gateway (router & adsl modem) together with a WMP54G PCI adapter (you can wifi your desktop with it) from Comet for £80. The 'gateway' allows 4 pc's to be connected via ethernet cables and also via wireless. Not fitted the PCI card into the desktop yet, relying on the ethernet cable included. Works just fine, and my old laptop (with a wireless card) is connected too.

At long last I can surf the interweb from the comfort of my car parked outside

Last edited by Dieseldog; 07 April 2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07 April 2005, 04:15 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/

got me a draytek vigor 2600g from there. Expensive but ace

www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk

also check that site out, it seems down at the mo

Last edited by mike1210; 07 April 2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07 April 2005, 04:22 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dieseldog
Yesterday I bought a Linksys WAG54G UK wireless gateway (router & adsl modem) together with a WMP54G PCI adapter (you can wifi your desktop with it) from Comet for £80. The 'gateway' allows 4 pc's to be connected via ethernet cables and also via wireless. Not fitted the PCI card into the desktop yet, relying on the ethernet cable included. Works just fine, and my old laptop (with a wireless card) is connected too.

At long last I can surf the interweb from the comfort of my car parked outside
I have the same router at home and to be honest,I haven't had any problems with it since I bought it around 12 months or so ago.The advantage of this particular one is that it has a built in modem so basically,you don't need to have power cables going to a router AND a modem.You get 11g networking (54mbps),a firewall plus a 4 port switch as is stated above.The only word of warning though is that the technical support from Linksys is crap!! (You are transferred to a call centre in the Phillipines most of the time)
In my laptop I have the WPC54G wireless card,of course you won't need this cos yours has built in wifi

Good luck

Nick
Old 07 April 2005, 06:02 PM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

I use a 3com office connect modem router firewall and 4 port switch with a laptop and a desktop using an ASUS wifi card. Have had no problems with it and it has been going for nearly 6 months. Can't remember the last time I rebooted it.
Old 08 April 2005, 08:29 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers for the top tips guys.

Will these setup's allow me to connect the laptop to my printer over the wireless connection without me having to have the desktop powered on (currently connected to it)? i.e. can one of the ports be used for the printer?
Old 08 April 2005, 08:49 AM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

It will work if the printer has an ethernet connection. Most don't, either USB or parallel, in which case you would need a print server, either a wired or wireless one. This will allow you to use the printer with either computer regardless of which is switched on because the connection to it will be via the router and print server.

If you have a USB printer then you might be able to get away with a USB-Ethernet adapter cable but I have never used one of these so check before buying. They are a lot cheaper than a print server. If you have more than one printer then go for a print server.
Old 08 April 2005, 09:01 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

The Draytek 2600G has a built in print server & usb port for the connection of a printer. Check the Draytek website for a list of compatible printers.

Mark