Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Networking a Mac to PC's

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2005, 03:37 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Networking a Mac to PC's

I currently do all my work on a laptop and have often looked at getting a Mac - with the advent of the Mac Mini I now can't use the "can't afford both" excuse, but I'd like a bit info on how easy it is getting the Mac and the XP Pro Laptop to talk to each other.

Currently use the laptop for everything - bit of word processing, photo jiggery-pokery, making compilation cd's for the car, internet hi-jinx but about 90% of the time it's doing CAD.

Getting a new PC or whatever has been in the pipeline for a while now, and the other half (uber techno-phobe) has started using the net a bit more of late, which is a bit difficult when I'm trying to work. The plan (or my current thinking anyway) is to keep the laptop for CAD, and to use the Mac Mini for storing pics (and editing them) from the digital camera, as a jukebox / music archive / internet surfing / personal organiser and some word processing. I also have a habit of playing a DVD in the background while I work rather than a CD!

I understand that the Mac Mini doesn't have a dvd/rw as standard but it can be upgraded - as can the RAM.

I also have an old knackered PC which I want to use as a datastore (with a big HDD). How can I simply connect all 3 together?
Old 06 April 2005, 03:48 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Macs (generally) network very well with PC's for most tasks. I am one of only 2 Macs sat on a 300 machine network and most of the time the IT bods don't know we are here as we just plod along without trouble.

Saying that though, sharing printers between the 2 can be fun.

Other than that, you will thank yourself for buying one. The DVD can only be upgraded at point of purchase, the RAM at anytime.

I think you will end up using your PC only for CAD and your Mac will end up doing everything else. I can see the future you see .
Old 06 April 2005, 11:10 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Tis true, I would order the 1.4 Mini with a DVD-RW and buy the memory of Crucial or whoever but MAX it out.

You can always use FTP to send files to and from especially usefull with an FTP client which can save the site details.

check out

http://www.macosxhints.com/

for lots of hints and tips ! The Apple support site is pretty good for the more simple stuff too.

rich

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Macs (generally) network very well with PC's for most tasks. I am one of only 2 Macs sat on a 300 machine network and most of the time the IT bods don't know we are here as we just plod along without trouble.

Saying that though, sharing printers between the 2 can be fun.

Other than that, you will thank yourself for buying one. The DVD can only be upgraded at point of purchase, the RAM at anytime.

I think you will end up using your PC only for CAD and your Mac will end up doing everything else. I can see the future you see .