Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IP Forwarding/Bandwidth Throttling

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2005, 02:17 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IP Forwarding/Bandwidth Throttling

Right chaps, after a bit of help please!

We have a couple of cisco routers with fast ethernet ports but we need to throttle the speed down to a 20Mb link and then shortly after increase to 34Mb. Now as far as I can tell the only way to adjust speed on the Cisco Routers is to set it at 10 or 100 as per normal ethernet.

So first option, anyone know if its possible to throttle back the 100Mb connection on the routers themselves so it only goes out at 20-34Mb.

Other option is to create a "cloud", using a spare win 2k server if possible. The server has 2 ethernet ports so ideally we would want to shove it in between the router to router connection if we can't do the above. We'd connect 1 router to one ethernet port and the other into the second ethernet port. We'd then need to do ip forwarding I imagine? And are there any tools which allow us to throttle the speed down on the inputs/outputs into the server?

Think thats clear enough about what we're trying to do.....

Any help muchly appreciated,
Cheers
Neil
Old 06 April 2005, 04:02 PM
ChrisB

I'm surprised you can't do it in IOS on the switch, but then I don't know IOS on a switch.

http://www.softperfect.com/products/...throttling.htm might do the job if you drop in a server.
Old 06 April 2005, 09:24 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

I spent 1.5-2 hours today searching for info on the net and using my priviledged login on cisco's webby and can't find any reference to being able to do it other than the 10/100 like I said

The server "cloud" seems to be the only way - that bit of software you posted looks like it might do the job, though getting work to stump up for it could be interesting - they are VERY **** these days
Old 06 April 2005, 10:42 PM
ChrisB

The bean counters must walk with a squeek mate - it's only 35 or 99 USD for that software
Old 06 April 2005, 10:48 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well if I remember correctly the only way to do bandwidth throttling would be to mark the traffic i.e QoS then do some form of dropping of packets etc...

Personally I would use LANForge It is a live LINUX bootable CD image which you can store the config etc on a floppy disc

Download and have operational in less than 20 minutes. Absolutely excellent product and will stay up for months on end . . . a trick that M$ has yet to learn

rich

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Hi mate,

I spent 1.5-2 hours today searching for info on the net and using my priviledged login on cisco's webby and can't find any reference to being able to do it other than the 10/100 like I said

The server "cloud" seems to be the only way - that bit of software you posted looks like it might do the job, though getting work to stump up for it could be interesting - they are VERY **** these days
Old 07 April 2005, 10:22 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely excellent product and will stay up for months on end . . . a trick that M$ has yet to learn
No.. its about time people realised that just becuase they can install the software and make it look like its running, doesnt mean they know how to build, deploy and administer servers in the enterprise.

I've got servers that have been up years, and only that long becuase of scheduled power outages to replace UPS's or Cabling.

David
Old 07 April 2005, 10:43 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
The bean counters must walk with a squeek mate - it's only 35 or 99 USD for that software
Yep mate, even that would be an issue Cable & Wireless just don't wanna spend any cash at all at the moment...........

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2005, 10:49 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rich101
Well if I remember correctly the only way to do bandwidth throttling would be to mark the traffic i.e QoS then do some form of dropping of packets etc...

Personally I would use LANForge It is a live LINUX bootable CD image which you can store the config etc on a floppy disc

Download and have operational in less than 20 minutes. Absolutely excellent product and will stay up for months on end . . . a trick that M$ has yet to learn

rich
LANforge looks like it will do exactlyy what we're after, cheers
Old 07 April 2005, 11:04 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Only its $2150 Perhaps not then!