Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

[Apple] Tiger goes GM

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2005, 02:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Apple] Tiger goes GM

Whether it will be announced today we will still have to wait and see about, however, sources indicate that Tiger has gone GM (Golden Master). Build number is alleged to be 8A428 (Have not seen this build as yet, but am running 8A428)

Must say it does look rather nice, and seems a bit quicker than 10.3.

One thing, you DO need at least 256MB to install, or at least the seed releases did. I could not get it to install on any machine with less than 256MB. Once installed however, it seems to run ok with under 256, but it's a bit slow, but not too bad after spotlight has done it's thing.

Guess I've no longer got an excuse not to finish converting my Konfabulator widget to a Dashboard widget.

I should be upgrading to GM on my main machine as soon as it's released, so I'll let you know what problems I find.
Old 01 April 2005, 03:07 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I want

Looking forward to this, I got to see the intro movie the other day, really nice.
Old 01 April 2005, 03:45 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Is that the movie that was on MacRumors? the "spotlight" type affair? Some have said it might not be the actual movie but *cough* it is *cough* not that I've ever seen the actual intro for Tiger lol
Old 01 April 2005, 05:12 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Markus,

Without breaking any NDA's (if you have signed any ) could you shed a little light on the revamping of the Sync engine in Tiger? I'm more concerned with the inclusion of SyncML/device support rather than the API.

Oh and what GFX card are you running?

Ta
Alex
Old 01 April 2005, 06:09 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Is that the movie that was on MacRumors? the "spotlight" type affair? Some have said it might not be the actual movie but *cough* it is *cough* not that I've ever seen the actual intro for Tiger lol
Thats the one, or should I say, this is the one I thought it was real, it looked too professional to be fake. It's trimmed down hence the really sharp stop, but thats where the rest of the installer starts I am lead to believe.
Old 01 April 2005, 06:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Alex
Sync engine? You mean iSync? To be honest, I've not actually played around with it yet. My main focus has been with regards to networking and MXC settings.

As for GFX card, whatever runs by default in my test G4's and 1.33 iBook.

Andy
You get the movie after the install and just before it starts asking you to fill out your registration information. A little tip, you can quit the registration process, and it will ask if you wish to cancel, skip, or shutdown, if you click quit, you go straight to the 'create account' screen (if it's a fresh install and not an upgrade'. Always found that very handy as I don't want to register, or create an apple ID.
Old 01 April 2005, 06:42 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Alex
Sync engine? You mean iSync? To be honest, I've not actually played around with it yet. My main focus has been with regards to networking and MXC settings.

As for GFX card, whatever runs by default in my test G4's and 1.33 iBook.
iSync is now dead, replaced by .Mac sync (Sys Preferences) and a system wide sync API. It's widely expected to be built around SyncML. I was just wondering as iSync has been left to languish whilst lots of new devices have been released (Nokia Series 60 and 40 with SyncML, SE S700 and P910, Moto RAZR, Sammy D900 etc).

My GFX card curiosity stems from wanting to know CoreImage/CoreVideo and Dashboard performance on my lowly Dual G4 867 w/GF4MX.

Anyway, rambling now...
Old 01 April 2005, 06:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

CoreImage I've not really played with. Dashboard, well, that seems ok to be honest. I've been developing a widget (based on my konfab one) and apart from my coding skills being a bit poor, it seems to work, so I would say DB is working fine.

as for the .Mac sync, didn't notice this! lol, as said, it's not where I've been concentrating my testing.
Old 01 April 2005, 08:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

OK, there is allegedly a .Mac pane in System Preferences, the idea being that you have a .Mac account and sync your addresses, mail accounts, calendars... more or less everything to your .Mac account.

The .Mac SDK would allow you to create your own 'plugin' to allow it to appear in the list of items you can sync.

Now, if you're not using .Mac, as I'm not, there is, again allegedly still an iSync application, if you click on the .Mac icon in there it tells you to bugger off to System Prefs, plus gives you a button to take you there. I would assume that the other items, phones etc... could still be synced using iSync.

When I've got GM on my machine I'll give it a try.

No sign of GM yet though, and no annoucement from Apple