Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HP Invent - System Recovery

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 10:11 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Invent - System Recovery

Trying to fix someones computer....and..

Can't get into windows. Decided to wipe everything (plugged HD into another PC to backup data 1st though!) and run the HP System Recovery (F10 when booting up).

The System Recovery software errors while copying files (i.e. while it's restoring factory settings etc.) stating that certain files/drivers could not be opened. Program carries on though (with more errors as just stated) and recovery completes. However it still can't get into windows (hangs while XP is loading, or resets itself).

Current thinking is errors on HD in both partitions. Last case scenario is to get XP and somehow fdisk the HDD like in the old days and format the HDD and then install XP. May need to replace the HDD as well.

Don't have install CD's (like most PC's these days) and machine is 18 months old so out of warranty. So can we get a 'copy' of windows and install that? It's wrong to have to buy a copy of XP when we've already 'got it' if you get my meaning.

What should we do?
Old 31 March 2005, 10:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Sounds like youve deleted the EXTHS; Id consider contacting HP and buying a set of recovery discs; usually they arent too dear.

Simon
Old 01 April 2005, 09:07 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

'I' haven't deleted anything

What is EXTHS?? Will a new set of recovery disk solve the problem? How can I eliminate (or not) the possiblilty that the HDD is fubar'd?
Old 02 April 2005, 12:02 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

bttt, anyone help?
Old 03 April 2005, 11:07 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Dracoro,

What version of the Windows XP Service Pack did it ship with? 1 or 2. The licence codes (stamped somewhere on the PC) are different for each version, so a SP1 code won't work with a SP2 CD.

If it shipped with SP1 I'll make you a copy of my Windows XP inc SP1 CD but I can't provide you a code, thats up to you.

Darren