Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Capturing stills from DVD

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2005, 03:03 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capturing stills from DVD

This sounded really easy to me, but I'm now tearing my hair out!

I recently appeared on TV and a friend recorded the appearance and burnt it to DVD. I would like to capture a still from the DVD and save it as a JPEG to use on a website. Using Windows Media Player to play the DVD, pausing it at the appropriate place then pressing the PrintScreen key and then using Paint, I can cut and copy the "TV screen" section of the image, but when I try to save it all I get is a black image.

Am I trying to do the impossible because the DVD has some sort of copyright protection built in or am I missing something somewhere? Does anyone have any ideas of how I can capture a still image from the DVD as a JPEG?

Doug
Old 19 March 2005, 03:24 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

1) Go to the Start Menu and select Settings->Control Panel.
2) From the list view, select Display Properties and select the last page titled Settings.
3) Find the Advanced button and then choose Troubleshooting.
4) There you will find a slider control for hardware acceleration. Move that slider to None, then click OK button.

You can then take your screenshot and put the setting back afterwards.

There is other software out there to capture screens, I think PowerDVD has the function built in, but this works just as well.
Old 19 March 2005, 03:51 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dunk. I've tried that, but it only seems to recognise the DVD if I have acceleration set to full. Do you have any links to any free capture software? I don't really want to pay as I only require about three screen shots and can't see me needing to capture stills from a DVD again at any time in the near future.

Doug
Old 19 March 2005, 05:00 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

What is your dvd palying software on your pc,lots of them have a screen capture button.
Old 19 March 2005, 05:18 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

If you've got Paint Shop Pro, that has an screen capture function. Can't say if it works with DVD playback though.

ISTR that there something in the DVD specification that limits options when it comes to "capturability" of DVD output.

John.
Old 19 March 2005, 05:26 PM
P_v_G
Scooby Regular

From the WinDVD help file

Capturing a Still Image
WinDVD now allows users to capture a static image during movie playback. Press the "P" key at any time to capture a BMP file of a moving or static image. Capture does not work on zoomed regions and on some hardware motion compensation graphics chips. If you are having a problem, try disabling hardware motion compensation and capturing again.
Captured bitmaps are stored in the Capture subdirectory of the WinDVD directory on your hard drive. Captured files are number cap001.bmp, cap002.bmp, etc.
paul.