Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ethernet Problem

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2005, 03:09 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ethernet Problem

Ok i have Windows XP Pro and my hard drive was full could not un-install any big files so had to settle for little ones to start of with anyway got to the point where i could start getting ride of the big files to make space the problem now is.

I cannot connect to the internet through my ethernet like i used to just will not connect call telewest and they said just plug your modem into the USB socket !!

So question is am i loosing out on anything by using USB rather than my Ethernet connection other than a USB socket ? That my gamepad did plug into for Toca Race Driver 2 ?

Pongo555
Old 15 March 2005, 04:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have a read of this

Now, I'm not totally up to speed, pardon the pun, of the speed of USB (1.x or 2.x) vs Ethernet, but I would have thought that a 10/100 ethernet connection would be quicker than a USB connection.

Thus you'd possibly be seeing a speed decrease when using the modem via USB rather than ethernet, plus of course you'd see the loss of a USB port.

Telewests 'solution' isn't the most elegant to be honest, one would have thought they might try a bit harder to find the cause of your problem, rather than just telling you to switch over to using a USB connection. Of course, you don't say what other things they may have told you to do to attempt to fix the problem. If this was their first suggestion, then bad form on their part.

Anyway, I'd be back in touch with them to get them to help you get the modem working again over ethernet.
Old 15 March 2005, 04:17 PM
Pongo555
Scooby Regular

Thanks VERY much for the help Markus there is allways someone to help in your hour of need on this forum thats what the scoooby family is all about LOL thanks again !!!

Pongo555
Old 15 March 2005, 08:17 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

USB 2.0 can run at 480Mbps, so in theory is a lot faster than 10/100 ethernet. The actual data throughput will depend on what is driving the USB port eg your PC and your modem.