Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Tiger release information (rumors)

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2005, 02:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger release information (rumors)

Ok, so you should not believe everything you hear. However, sources seem to indiacate that Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) is to be released on 1st April, and will ship on/around 15th April.

Now, before people say April Fool! Which it might turn out to be, remember that 29 years ago a little fruit named company was launched on April 1st (Incidently, our company was also started on 1st April, says a lot really lol), so it might be a nice tie in to relased the new OS on the company's Birthday.
Old 15 March 2005, 02:34 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I heard this too, the only thing I can think that goes against it is that April 1st is a Friday, generally not a good day to release new products due to lack of news.

However the amount of press surrounding Apple at the moment could mean that it probably wouldn't matter what day or time it came out.

Either way I want it now From the little bits of it I've seen it looks cool.
Old 15 March 2005, 02:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It could be Apple's way of tracing leaks too. Think Secret was the first place to mention this, and that was the site Apple was after with regards to the recent leak of information.

From memory, most OS releases have been at WWDC, and that's when I thought we'd see Tiger.

Now, the seed I currently have is pretty stable, it's the same as the version Steve showed at the Expo where the mac mini was released. I'm expecting one, maybe two more seeds, the last probably being GM.

The only annoying niggle I've got with the current seed is that in Mail.app, there isn't any form of activity indicator, so it's hard to tell if mail is being sent/recieved. One assumes this'll be addressed for GM though.

Dashboard is pretty interesting too, however, I don't like that you have to switch to it to see the widgets. Konfabulator's 'floating' approach was better IMHO, but hey, dashboard is sexy, and I might port my Konfabulator widget over to it, when I have a spare moment or too.

Spotlight is rather funky too, and it is quick, even on a 256MB 1.33 iBook, which isn't the fastest thing known to man or beast.

All in all it will be a nice new OS.
Old 15 March 2005, 10:04 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

There's not been enough pre-release hype. Could be to do with the current lawsuits over rumour sources and certain websites desperately trying to make themselves look "uninformed"...

I'd expect to see Tiger debut at WWDC along with 970MP and 970GX powered machines.

April 1 is also Chris Evans's birthday
Old 15 March 2005, 10:19 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean about the hype, it's not just online rumor sites though, eWeek has mentioned it too, not that this counts for anything though.

It would be nice if it was released at WWDC, makes a bit more sense than a release in April.

The thing that annoys me is that as Premier Apple Developers, it would be nice to know when Apple plans to release it, allows us to structure our release schedule, plus allows for development and beta testing time! Unlike regular applications, our software tightly integrates with the underpinnings of OS X and so small changes can dramatically effect the way we work.
One seed might work fine, the next might break things, then the following seed fixes them again. Oh the joys of development!

I can understand they can't say "this is going to be the last seed before GM" as no doubt more problems will be found and then GM comes out and it's got problems that need fixing that can't be held over until the first patch for 10.4, but they must know internally what they are aiming for.
Old 15 March 2005, 10:30 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking Roll on Tiger

Hi guys,

I'm REALLY looking forward to Tiger, especially the new Mail app - looks superb from what I have seen so far.

Cheers!

Mossman