Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone setup satellite broadband - techy Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2005, 03:04 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone setup satellite broadband - techy Q's

I've got a 2nd hand system sitting on my kitchen table with no installation instructions - anyone got any links or tips?

It's a Skystar advantage (Gilat) system, just need to know how to connect the box to the PC (assume LAN port on box to our router), which satellite(s) I can point it at (Came with BT broadband CD's). I know cable's better/cheaper but it's not an option where I live.

Thanks

Kevin.
Old 11 March 2005, 03:41 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Hi Kevin,

I struggled with satellite internet for a few years until I could get ADSL. I'm assuming you're just after 1-way residential broadband ?

If so, best thing is to aim your dish at the same satellite as Sky and use a provider such as http://www.cpbb.co.uk/cpsat/ (I used them and they're pretty good).

Is it a breakout receiver you have ? Or a PCI card ?

Cheers

Matt
Old 11 March 2005, 03:50 PM
ChrisB

2nd hand? Hmmm.

The coupe of installs I was involved with both needed the co-ordinates of the dish to be submitted along with a bundle of other information to the provider.
Old 11 March 2005, 03:59 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

2nd hand but, it's actually a system for the company my wife works for. Previous owner is one of the directors who now has cable and has suggested we use this till cable becomes available. I'm actually looking at the CPBB website just now - they use the Astra dish @ 28.2 East so that's no big problem. Why does the satellite receiver have 2 LNB inputs, one in and one out and it's come with a twin sat cable set-up? I left the LNB at the office I assume it has 2 connections, 1 for sending and one for receiving - but CPBB say their setup is download only and normal ISP for upload - confused....