Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Telewest BB PC Installation Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2005, 09:32 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Telewest BB PC Installation Problems

Hi Folks.

Slight problem.

I had the 1 Meg TW package hooked up yesterday and can’t seem to install it on my PC. The compooper is compatible but now won’t even read the Set Up CD. Any tips anyone? I’ve had a (56K!) surf to see if there is a site from which I can download the installation, but to no avail.

It may be a corrupt CD but there may be something else I have to do in order to install. I spent an hour on the phone to the call centre last night who were amenable but not of much use.

I used to have the PC networked to an older model if this is indicative of anything?

Cheers,

Ken
Old 09 March 2005, 11:14 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Okay, I might be a bit dense, but any Dense-metry corrections would be gratefully received.

BTTP.

K.
Old 10 March 2005, 12:11 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

I didn't have to do any installation on the PC. The BB modem is connected to my computer via a network card. The n/w card is set to automatically pick up its settings from the BB modem. All you do then is tell Internet Explorer / Firefox to use a lan connection for the internet and away you go.

I've rebuilt my PC from the XP disk before, it installs the network card drivers and from then on it can see the www.
Old 11 March 2005, 08:10 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got there eventually.

Last night I 'phoned a premium rate TW number twice - £27. I was told that my PC may be incompatible and should re-format.

Raging.

One last try tonight. ten minutes at local rate and it's done. I think that all that had to be carried out was to delete my network bridge here and a re-boot at their end.

The TW guy even said I should try and recoup my losses.

Currently revelling in 1Meg-Land.

K.
Old 11 March 2005, 09:09 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

If you ring 150 its free.
Old 11 March 2005, 10:06 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken 275
Got there eventually.

Last night I 'phoned a premium rate TW number twice - £27. I was told that my PC may be incompatible and should re-format.

Raging.

One last try tonight. ten minutes at local rate and it's done. I think that all that had to be carried out was to delete my network bridge here and a re-boot at their end.

The TW guy even said I should try and recoup my losses.

Currently revelling in 1Meg-Land.

K.
Glad it's all sorted now. Sorry about the trouble you had though I don't know much about the broadband side of it I'm afraid so I wouldn't have been able to help.

I can't see why you can't get Telewest to refund the call charges or knock them off of your bill because it wasn't your fault. Don't quote me on that though.

Paul
Old 11 March 2005, 10:22 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Guys.

T'was a major hassle. I've still got to sort the e-maily thing out though...

It may be tough trying to reclaim the money I spent last night to the Helpdesk as they could probably argue that the work the guy did laid the foundations for getting connected tonight. Personally I doubt that is the case, nice guy that he was, but it's probably not worth the hassle of going to Off-Com for that princely sum.

Currently though, apart from a keyboard which responds to my thoughts or at least types the characters I press, I think the connection speed is the best IT addition I've made so far and would recommend BB.

K.