Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

AOL Sharing Connection

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2005, 10:18 PM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AOL Sharing Connection

Any ideas?

Have my main comp up stairs with aol modem - network cable to hub - cables running to the front room and study.

Cannot get my laptops to get on the t'internet

Have tried 2 different nic's ( one on board ).

Have tride to bridge the connections.

Manually Sharing the aol connection ( which make aol crash every f**king time )

Even tried the home network wizard ( OMG )

Gonna throw the damn thing out the window soon. Heeeeeeeeeeeelp.

Cheers, BaldyMan
Old 28 February 2005, 11:03 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I don't think you can BaldyMan! - Not with ADSL modem supplied by AOL.

Also with AOL you need to be on Gold or Platinum service, and use a router.

I have recently had this problem. I ended up buying a Netgear DG834G Router with USB WiFi unit ~ £95... from 'Simply Computers'

Works well anywhere in house - haven't got a laptop so haven't tried anywhere outside

Cheers

Mick
Old 01 March 2005, 09:21 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AOLOL
Old 04 March 2005, 07:58 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Question

Bioforger - you seem to have a one man vendetta against AOL - do you work for another ISP - or do you percieve AOL to have done you an injustice at some point?

Mick
Old 10 March 2005, 08:18 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hah no I perceive AOL to be complete n utter cack and yes I was unfortunate enough to have to use it back in ole dialup days, utter utter poop. Plus the fact I hate the way AOL has its own online content trying to market it as the internet, when all it is, is a trumped up bulletin board. And the way they try to nanny everything in their software, n take over your network settings, ok for newbies I guess, but not for me. Their support is also useless... I could go on.
Old 10 March 2005, 09:08 PM
scoobydood
Scooby Regular

I use AOL and am v. happy. I do not use their browser or their email client - i.e. the AOL dialler connects on login and sits on my taskbar (no different to any other USB ADSL setup I think). I then use IE to browse and Outlook to manage my mail. In other words it is no different to any other ADSL ISP.

I managed to put a wireless network card in my PC and share the connection with a laptop w/o problem. (No hub or anything). That person is no longer in our house so have since removed the card.

I had a US Robotics wireless router at my disposal for 1 weekend and had that seutp and running in 5 minutes....

As an added bonus - my daughters login to the PC does not run the dialler - she has to use the AOL browser to use the web. This way we can restrict her access and get usage reports. She find loads of stuff on AOL for homework/games etc in a safe environment.

Why is AOL a problem? I don't understand people negative comments - especially when many of them haven't even used the service.
Old 10 March 2005, 09:24 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydood
I use AOL and am v. happy. I do not use their browser or their email client - i.e. the AOL dialler connects on login and sits on my taskbar (no different to any other USB ADSL setup I think). I then use IE to browse and Outlook to manage my mail. In other words it is no different to any other ADSL ISP.

Why is AOL a problem? I don't understand people negative comments - especially when many of them haven't even used the service.
As above Outlook and IE running various GUI's checking sites run 24/7 on a 1mb line and waiting for my 2mb FOC upgrade
Have had very little trouble with AOL for over 4 years
Old 11 March 2005, 10:19 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

All the ISPs were struggling to provide good service in old diallup days... Win95 OS and all that old software didn't exactly help either

I'm now running WinXP Pro, Office 2003 Pro and AOL as an ISP - computing has never been so good - No blue screens, no crashes, never lose internet connection, fast downloads, connection speed to be doubled for free in next couple of months...

What more can you ask?

Mick
Old 11 March 2005, 11:07 AM
User 1421
Scooby Regular

Yuo will need to use a proxy to get AOL working on shared machines.
Use a freebie proxy on the main gateway , make a note of its IP , and goto the other machine , and use IEs proxy settings

I used WINPROXY to get my mates working like that...