Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Novell 3.12

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 01:10 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novell 3.12

Anyone got any ideas as to how to get data of a Novell 3.12 server - problem is I have no usernames/passwords - it's a really really old system, the motherboard died and I have just replaced it - and it looks Novell is up and running now.

Is there any way of hacking the supervisor password (am I even right in thinking that supervisor is the "master" account)

I realise that this should be in "Computer Related" - just more chance of someone seeing it here
Old 26 February 2005, 01:26 PM
bashful
Scooby Regular

An extreme answer would be to pull the disk/s and try to mount them under Linux - Google says there are projects to allow Netware disks to be read.

Originally Posted by RJMS
Anyone got any ideas as to how to get data of a Novell 3.12 server - problem is I have no usernames/passwords - it's a really really old system, the motherboard died and I have just replaced it - and it looks Novell is up and running now.

Is there any way of hacking the supervisor password (am I even right in thinking that supervisor is the "master" account)

I realise that this should be in "Computer Related" - just more chance of someone seeing it here
Old 26 February 2005, 02:05 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

try this http://www.netwarefiles.com/utils/novhack.zip from here http://www.netwarefiles.com/usermgmt.htm or here http://www.secinf.net/netware/Netwar...ection_13.html

Basically google is your friend..

Last edited by Neil Smalley; 26 February 2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 26 February 2005, 03:04 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

& moving it straight to "Computer Related"

"supervisor" is the master account but try "guest" & see if that has a password

btw - what are you getting when you log on? In fact, how are you logging on? Are you using a Netware Client?

In my hazy memory of 3.12 (I'm a NW3 CNA I'll have you know ) I don't recall having to enter a password in the console when the server boots, just when its being accessed remotely. Try typing "SYSCON" in the console menu & see what happens. You should be able to locate the supervisor password & overtype it or add a user and give them supervisor rights.
Old 26 February 2005, 03:06 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Then connect via a NW client (downloadable from www.novell.com ) and all the data is there at your fingertips...
Old 26 February 2005, 03:26 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
Basically google is your friend..
Thanks folks - I found a brilliant little utility on the Novell site http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/trench/463.html
Old 26 February 2005, 03:31 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
btw - what are you getting when you log on? In fact, how are you logging on? Are you using a Netware Client?

In my hazy memory of 3.12 (I'm a NW3 CNA I'll have you know ) I don't recall having to enter a password in the console when the server boots, just when its being accessed remotely. Try typing "SYSCON" in the console menu & see what happens. You should be able to locate the supervisor password & overtype it or add a user and give them supervisor rights.
You're right, you don't need anything to start up the server - presuming of course that the change of motherboard hasn't fu**ked up all the driver settings, it had of course. Found the little utility mentioned in my previous post - changed supervisor password - and bingo - access from XP - just by adding the appropriate client.

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2005, 03:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only drivers that would screw up on NW 3.12 would be the LAN or Disk ones. If they're all plug-in cards, then the only difference may be the slot assignment number and a quick edit of the STARTUP & AUTOEXEC NCF files would sort those. If it's IDE disks, then it should mount without any problems even with a m/b swap.

VOLINFO will show all the volumes on the server. Make sure you pull data from any extra volumes that may have been created. Default is SYS: and most likely everything is on that.

Stefan
(cut my teeth on NW3; CNE & MCNE from NW 3 up to 5 at one point)
Old 26 February 2005, 04:04 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
The only drivers that would screw up on NW 3.12 would be the LAN or Disk ones. If they're all plug-in cards, then the only difference may be the slot assignment number and a quick edit of the STARTUP & AUTOEXEC NCF files would sort those. If it's IDE disks, then it should mount without any problems even with a m/b swap.

VOLINFO will show all the volumes on the server. Make sure you pull data from any extra volumes that may have been created. Default is SYS: and most likely everything is on that.

Stefan
(cut my teeth on NW3; CNE & MCNE from NW 3 up to 5 at one point)
You're right it was both the lan and disk drivers and an edit of the autoexec.ncf did sort it out - problem was it wasn't quick - a long time since I've played with Novell Just to add to the fun there's two SCSI cards (with mirrored disks) and 3 ISA NICs - and the new motherboard only had two ISA slots. Eventually ended up using just the NE2000 card as that one seemed to work.
Old 26 February 2005, 11:43 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by RJMS
Eventually ended up using just the NE2000 card as that one seemed to work.
Story of a lifetime - Any more Novell 3 CNA's here who have forgot everything? D
Old 27 February 2005, 12:19 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Story of a lifetime - Any more Novell 3 CNA's here who have forgot everything? D
What you saying wee boy? Life moves on, just some get left behind...
Old 27 February 2005, 03:02 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

feels left behind

actually - feels glad to be out of the game
Old 27 February 2005, 03:04 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

lsl
ne2000
ipxodi
netx

scary - that was when I was just a wee boy
Old 27 February 2005, 05:52 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

My name's Neil and I was a Novell CNA
Old 27 February 2005, 06:53 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

I was an intranetware cna and ive forgotten 120% of it, so dont fell bad
Old 27 February 2005, 11:02 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

ive forgotten more about netware than I care to remember

Started with it in 1995
Old 27 February 2005, 11:57 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Question is, with the exception of me, for a groupwise based multinational mail system. Who actually uses it anymore ? Having said that, before the system dump last month, the uptime was into large 3 figure days. How often do you see that with NT servers ?
Old 28 February 2005, 08:52 AM
tomp
Scooby Regular

Still using Netware 6 (started at 2) great system, no virii, massive uptime, excellent performance and nwadmin to do everything with....
Old 28 February 2005, 08:56 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

Weve just got rid of netware in the last few years.. Groupwise was pants on 3.11/ 4.12

You often see decent up time with NT servers built properly , the thing is with nt 2k 2k3.. people think its as easy to setup as windows xp on their home pc..

Netware was a little harder..

Install.nlm iirc

load ne2000.nlm
bind ipx to ne2000

cant remember much

David
Old 28 February 2005, 11:33 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Two of our largest clients still use NetWare for all their file & print servers. One does mortagages in the North East, the other has something to do with satellites

My PC has decent uptime. Any system should have if it's built properly on reliable hardware.

My m8 used to work for ICL in Edinburgh. They got burgled years ago and when the Engineers came in the next morning all the server screens had Abend messages. Then someone noticed the servers sitting on their sides with all the RAM missing

You had to be a proper Engineer to install and support NetWare