Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Novell Netware, Sharing, and Macintoshes

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2003, 10:59 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, I can quite easilly talk chapter and verse about sharing directories on Windows NT 4, and Windows 2000 Server, and how to setup and configure Services for Macintosh, to enable Macs to connect to the shared folders.

However, Novell Netware (5.11 or 6) is a different kettle of fish. I've no real idea about sharing things.

My limited understanding is that to share something out, you have to create a volume/partition and then share that. It's not like Windows (or macintosh) where you select any old directory and then say 'share'. Is this correct?

Here's the reason for asking.

Our flagship product basically comprises of shared directory, that can be located on any AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) or AFP/IP compliant server. So, it can sit on a Novell Netware server running Appletalk services (or whatever Novell calls it). Thus the macintosh client software can 'talk' to the macintosh share. Our product REQUIRES that it's folder be a shared folder in it's own right, not a folder WITHIN an shared folder.

Now, under W2K, you just install SFM, go to computer management, go into shares, and share it, volia, a share that the macs can access. Nice and simple.

As mentioned, Novell is different, I think you need to have a separate partition, but I'm not sure.

I need someone to explain (or point me) how shares, particularly sharing out for macintosh, work under Novell Netware 5.1.1 and 6.0. What exactly would need to be done to setup a share for just our product that macs can access.

Bear in mind I know **** all about Novell, so that don't help much. analogies to Win NT and AppleShare IP can be used, as I know both of those and how to share things.

thanks
Old 23 January 2003, 11:44 AM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that you just need to install the mac namespace and then it can see the drives/volumes etc. To actually allow a mac to connect to the machine you need the novell login client. However Novell no longer make a client for Macintosh computers. It is a third party piece of software.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Stuart
Old 23 January 2003, 12:09 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id tell your developers to sort out the fact that it has to be on its own share... we hate software like that..

If its like netware 4.x etc I would create a volume with the same name as where you want the share to be.

Will be a problem though.. due to the sh1tty way its been programmed.

David