Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Burning LP's to CD.......what would I need?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2005, 03:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Burning LP's to CD.......what would I need?

As per title really. I'd like to set my Linn Turntable up next to the computer and put all my vinyl onto CD, but don't know how.

I'm not even sure how to connect it, seeing as the Linn has phono connectors, and a Linn magnetic cartridge giving only a few mV output.

Also, anyone know of the name of the (allegedly) available software that takes pops, hisses and scratches off the recordings?

Any help gladly received.

Alcazar
Old 23 February 2005, 04:12 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well something like steinberg clean would do the trick and you can pick that up pretty cheaply, I got mine on offer from PC world half price for about £12/15 I think. You also need to route the output through a pre-amp before taking it to the line-in your sound card and you should be sorted!

Gary
Old 23 February 2005, 05:08 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I'd imagine if you have the turntable you'd have a suitable amplifier? This should have pre-amplifier outputs, either dedicated or you can just use the 'tape' record outputs. These will give a suitable level for the soundcard input, although you may need a twin phono to stereo 3.5mm jack lead.

There are free recording programmes out there, but I'd suggest getting something similar to Steinberg Clean as recommended above.

There is a version with a bundled pre-amp, but use your existing amp if possible as it is likely to be much better quality.
Old 23 February 2005, 08:00 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

I've just treated myself to the Aureon 7.1 Universe bundle with the breakout box.

Set me back £140 but is an awesome bit of kit.

It comes with the 7.1 soundcard, breakout box (full audio interface, fits in 5.25 bay) and rakes of software.

Got my mixer hooked up to it at the weekend and am hugely impressed.

Paul