Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virus's from MSN

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2005, 12:43 PM
STi Paul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Virus's from MSN

Hello all.

HELP

Never used msn myself, but now my daughter is using it to message all her school friends.
Her computer is now onto its 3rd HD in 5 months, the last time it had compleatly lost the boot sector, it had 136 spy thingys, and 48 viruses.
One of the viruses that I am concerned about is (I am told) used by sicko peadeofiles(sp), to see where kids go???
I dont want to ban msn, so what is recommended to keep the computer clean.
Also are there any other precautions I can take that wont leave the computer unuseable ie disable cookies??

Paul
Old 22 February 2005, 12:57 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get this http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

then buy norton antivirus or similar
Old 22 February 2005, 01:05 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Download some antivirus software, PLUS an adware/spyware programme, something like Spybot Search & Destroy and/or Ad-Ware Personal.

Once you have them, take the machine offline, install them, then boot up in safe mode (reboot, then tap the F8 key, then select safe mode - If running XP, make sure that 'system restore' is turned off before doing this). Run a complete system scan with the spyware and antivirus software. Make sure the AV software is set to scan emails (incoming and outgoing).

Reboot, again into safe mode and scan again, just to make sure. Turn on 'system restore'

In theory you should now have a nice clean machine, which should be protected against attack. Make sure your virus defitions are up to date.
Old 22 February 2005, 01:12 PM
MMMscooby
Scooby Regular

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Had norton found it to be crap and uninstalled it, now using the above (AVG)find it much better

keeps the little nasties out

For spyware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Have used both for a while with no probs!
Old 22 February 2005, 01:15 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Just make sure she doesnt accept any files from people she doesnt know or is not expecting. I dont think MSN have chat rooms no more and the only people able to message you on MSN are the people that are on your address list so should only be people she knoes on it.
Old 22 February 2005, 01:27 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your PC is wide open. Take a look at the forums on the following website and it should give you a good idea about the things you need to do:-
a) to rid yourself of all current viruses, trojans, spyware etc
b) to secure your machine and stop it all coming back

http://castlecops.com/forums.html

The website is supposed to be manned by professionals in the PC security industry and they give their time to help people with PC security problems. Read all the stickies in the different forums, there's advice on free tools you can download to check and clean your machine and ways you can configure your machine to make it less vulnerable. There are also websites you can visit which can simulate an attack on your PC and tell you what vulnerabilities you have. It's an eye opener, even if you have virus scanner and firewall installed Depending on what nasties you find you might find it easy or difficult to rid your PC of problems, so be prepared for a long haul.
Old 22 February 2005, 03:23 PM
STi Paul
Scooby Regular

Many thanks, Will try and put the suggestions into practice tonight, when I get home.

PS Markus, why do I need to do that in safe mode ???????

Paul
Old 22 February 2005, 03:44 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

When you boot into safe mode, it doesn't load a lot of the program etc that get loaded on a nomal boot up. Gives the spyware thingy a better chance of removing stuff.

The microsoft anti-spyware tool is better than either spybot or ad-ware. Having said that, I run all 3 on my machine just to make sure

Btw, I'm suprised at the comments about AVG being better than Norton. I've seen AVG let through some pretty nasty viruses on numerous occaisions. Never had that problem with Norton or Panda...
Old 22 February 2005, 04:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As Iain said, safe mode will mean no applications will be running at boot, so the software won't be stopped by some viruses which detect the presence of AV software.
As for turning of software restore, well, if it's on, then you clean the machine and then restore, you'll be back with an infected setup. If you turn off restore, then run and get clean, then turn it on, the restore point should be the nice clean setup.
Old 22 February 2005, 04:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Running in safe mode also means that malware with companion services can't re-start each other as you stop them. Big pain in the butt.