Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IT Contracting.

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2005, 10:18 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IT Contracting.

Just after a bit of advice form other IT contractor or employers, I will be made redundant in the next 6mnths or so from my current employer due to outsourcing...shock horror!.....Im thinking about going Contracting for a while and wondered if anyone could let me know what the market is like with my current experience and skills...

Been working for a large Pharmacutical company for last 5 yrs, Experience in NT4 and W2k Server deployments, technical consultations and project work based on HP/Compaq platforms, proliants and DL*80G*....I currently supervise a team of 5 and reporting on our teams work on a monthly basis to a management team and putting in place process improvements....Working to IQMS standards, and working under change management conditions....

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 15 February 2005, 10:34 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends what you want to do. Do you want to be a Project Manager or more hands on techie stuff.

The company I work for outsource contractors for client project work. We've just put someone into NAG in Glasgow on a 3mth contract. All desktop & SMS stuff, but the client was paying good rates.

Another contract with the same company was looking for an Infrastructure Designer - i.e. designing LAN & WAN solutions and spec'ing kit. This was more of a PM role as there was no hands-on.

Whereabouts are you in the UK?

Stefan
Old 15 February 2005, 10:45 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Default IT Contracting

Im living in Harlow, Essex so was happy to contract in the city or surrounding areas, I think Id like to keep hands on at the moment and perhaps get in somewhere where I can do a bit of both...but I suppose beggars cant be choosers........other thing I was thinking what sort of rates would I be looking at for this type of work.....
Old 15 February 2005, 11:23 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't really know about the South, since all the rates I've been told have been north of the Border in Glasgow & Edinburgh.

You can always phone my Head Office (Brighton) and speak to one of the resourcers down there. They'll at least give you some advice on what sort of rates and how the market is right now.

http://www.rdfgroup.com/contact/

Stefan
Old 15 February 2005, 11:29 AM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks mate.

Anyone else got any advice?

Originally Posted by ozzy
Don't really know about the South, since all the rates I've been told have been north of the Border in Glasgow & Edinburgh.

You can always phone my Head Office (Brighton) and speak to one of the resourcers down there. They'll at least give you some advice on what sort of rates and how the market is right now.

http://www.rdfgroup.com/contact/

Stefan
Old 25 April 2005, 06:20 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by SeanT
Im living in Harlow, Essex so was happy to contract in the city or surrounding areas, I think Id like to keep hands on at the moment and perhaps get in somewhere where I can do a bit of both...but I suppose beggars cant be choosers........other thing I was thinking what sort of rates would I be looking at for this type of work.....
North or South Site ?

If you don't officially know yet. Take out mortgage insurance. Kicks in after 3 months and is worth its weight in gold !!! 2 years cover netting 125% of mortgage costs me around £75 a month.

Contractor rates - On the up again. anywhere between 200 - 500 a day depending on the skill set and the no of people chasing.
Old 25 April 2005, 06:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.jobserve.co.uk
www.jobsearch.co.uk
www.jobsin.co.uk

a few to be getting on with, will give you a look into what the market is after

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2005, 07:38 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Worth giving up a rock solid perm job to go contracting?

Only snag I have is being in Devon, naff all down here.