Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Installing a RAM chip

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2005, 06:55 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing a RAM chip

I've got a Corsair Pc-2100 1gig RAM chip to install. I've put the chip in but the computers not recognising it when I check the available RAM in properties on 'My Computer'. Do I need a driver? Or do I need to do something else?

Edited to add - I think I've got the wrong chip for the board. I have an ECS L7VMM2 motherboard and the RAM chip is a Corsair PC-2100 1gig, not sure about its exact spec , but basically its not compatible. I was given this by work so don't have any manuals or spec on it, therefore, you'll find it in the for sale section now!

Thanks.

Last edited by Silvafox; 06 February 2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06 February 2005, 09:10 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Looking at the specs of the motherboard, it can only take a maximum 1GB of unbuffered RAM and 2GB of buffered RAM. How much RAM have you already got in?

It would probably work if you put it in on it's own with no other RAM. You shouldn't need any drivers or anything else for it to be recognised, but it sounds like you have exceeded the motherboards limit so it's not bothered with it.
Old 06 February 2005, 09:44 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Looking at the specs of the motherboard, it can only take a maximum 1GB of unbuffered RAM and 2GB of buffered RAM. How much RAM have you already got in?

It would probably work if you put it in on it's own with no other RAM. You shouldn't need any drivers or anything else for it to be recognised, but it sounds like you have exceeded the motherboards limit so it's not bothered with it.
Right I see, I already have 256 RAM installed so I've taken that one out and put the 1gig chip in and the computer just beeps 3 times at me? Is there a problem with the chip do you think? Its been working fine in the computer at work right up until yesterday when I brought it home?
Old 06 February 2005, 09:47 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

What sort of beeps do you get? How many short beeps, how many long beeps?

I've just checked the manual out and it says that provided it is unbuffered memory, you should be able to have up to 1GB in each memory slot. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work though.

Just cross referenced with your other post (in the for sale section) and it looks like it isn't unbuffered RAM. This might mean that your motherboard may only take up to 0.5 GB in each memory slot. Not sure on whether it could have 1GB buffered in one slot, or would require two 0.5 GB slots to reach 1GB buffered.

Ah, the motherboard manual states it supports unbuffered RAM only. So there you go, you have buffered RAM that your mobo doesn't support Looks like the manual is different to the website where I got the original info from regarding the mobo spec

Last edited by Hanslow; 06 February 2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06 February 2005, 10:18 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hanslow
What sort of beeps do you get? How many short beeps, how many long beeps?

I've just checked the manual out and it says that provided it is unbuffered memory, you should be able to have up to 1GB in each memory slot. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work though.

Just cross referenced with your other post (in the for sale section) and it looks like it isn't unbuffered RAM. This might mean that your motherboard may only take up to 0.5 GB in each memory slot. Not sure on whether it could have 1GB buffered in one slot, or would require two 0.5 GB slots to reach 1GB buffered.

Ah, the motherboard manual states it supports unbuffered RAM only. So there you go, you have buffered RAM that your mobo doesn't support Looks like the manual is different to the website where I got the original info from regarding the mobo spec
I see! At least I know the chips not faulty now! Thank you very much for your help mate!

Simon
Old 06 February 2005, 10:33 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

No probs