Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Zoom 5506 PCI ADSL modem

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2005, 10:37 PM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zoom 5506 PCI ADSL modem

I've just moved up from 98SE to XP Home.

Straight from the clean install of XP I've tried to install the Zoom modem, to no avail.

If it works correctly (as when I installed it on 98SE), I install the software, install the modem and on reboot, the final initialisation process for choosing settings comes up and of you go.

In XP, the final process doesn't come up after reboot and the computer just hangs. If I have a look at task manager Ikernel.exe sits at 98/99%. If I end the process I get a message saying "The remote procedure call failed," and the modem doesn't install.

If I look in Device Manager I have ADSL Modem 0 and 1 in CNXInstaller but the modem doesn't exist anywhere else.

I've tried different PCI slots, tried the install software from the Zoom website rather than the disc and not accepted the install options when booting up (which just puts question marks against the devices in CNXInstaller in Device Manager), without any luck.

So here I am, crawling along on 56K through my PAYG number.

Any ideas and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave