Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wired or Wireless ADSL Router

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 03:26 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wired or Wireless ADSL Router

I am currently running three laptops and a desktop pc through a network hub. Also connected to the hub is a network print server.

Next week Broadband is being installed so I need to get an ADSL router.

Would I be best just getting an wired router and connecting it to the hub. However, I am thinking that I could get an wireless router but still connect it to the network hub but this means that we could eventually move over to a completely wireless network, once we have purchased pcmcia wireless cards.

I don't want to have Broadband fitted and find we end up slowing down e-mail sending speed just because we have gone down the wireless route. Is wireless Broadband much slower than wired.

We also use a 300 gb Maxtor to back up data over the network, so would there be a significant slowing down of time taken to back up data.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:29 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the slowest wireless link is still a lot faster than the BB link: the best BB is usually 2Mbps, against a wireless link that will almost certainly be at least 10Mb (depending on hardware, range, reception etc), and may be up to 100Mbps.

Go wireless.

M
Old 26 January 2005, 05:35 PM
G-man.au
Scooby Newbie

I agree with going wireless, futureproofs your investment a bit.

Get a wireless ADSL 5 port router, and replace your existing hub with it. You don't need to have both boxes.

If you want a hand setting it up, let me know.
Old 26 January 2005, 08:26 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice.

The Broadband supplier will give us a modem. Should I get a Modem and Router in one.

Can you recommend any good routers ?

Are the routers plug and play ?
Old 26 January 2005, 10:35 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Powerkiter
Thanks for the advice.

The Broadband supplier will give us a modem. Should I get a Modem and Router in one.

Can you recommend any good routers ?

Are the routers plug and play ?
Your BB supplier will give you an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem - one of the worst pieces of hardware to ever exist. To be avoided unless truly desperate.

Yes, get a combined modem/router/switch/wirewall jobbie. Linksys seem to be good ATM. The ADSL plugs into that and then all you need is an ethernet from one computer to the modem for long enough to set up the firmware.

M
Old 26 January 2005, 11:01 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Be very careful with wireless....

There's lots of people on scoobynet that will whole-heartedly recommend it, but more poignantly there's a LOT of people who experience constant problems with it.

Having tried lots of different brands, I'd avoid Linksys, Netgear and Dlink and pay a bit extra for some quality like a Draytek Vigor - they even come with a printer server port, so you don't have to leave a computer on all the time just so you can share its printer.

Some people will tell you they haven't had a days problem with the problem brands I mention, but more significantly a LOT of people do have problems with them. Take a look at each companies support website to see how bad and infrequent some of the firmware updates are for example.
Old 27 January 2005, 12:05 AM
suba
Scooby Regular

when i first got adsl, i thought a wired router is enuf. after 1 week, i got rid of it and got a wireless router. get a all-in-one solution (adsl modem, router, wireless). if money no object, go for the draytek vigor. they are good and reliable. imho, i have used origo 4-port wireless router and it was pretty good as well. i got it from www.qtds.com but it's the same as ebuyer value range.
Old 27 January 2005, 01:48 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

If all the computers are not in the same room you will probably struggle to get the claimed 54 meg lan speed if you get a reasonable g rated wireless access point. -

Meridian - who does 100Mbps? Is it expensive stuff, and is it any good through walls?
Old 27 January 2005, 07:24 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke

Meridian - who does 100Mbps? Is it expensive stuff, and is it any good through walls?
Netgear at least: I'm using the DG834GT and three WG311T wireless PCI cards. Most of the time the link is at 108, but it does sometimes drop to 54Mbps. But it also occasionally drops out altogether - a known Netgear fault, which is why I'd advise against them. The router is downstairs, and the three comps are upstairs, about ten feet away, but obviously with a ceiling between them. With the 54Mb version, the DG834G, the signal problems have mostly been sorted by firmware upgrades, so these might be too.

M
Old 27 January 2005, 08:22 AM
antera309
Scooby Regular

As a guideline:

an 11Mbps (802.11b) setup will give you a true 4Mbps.
a 54Mbps (802.11g) setup will give you a true 20Mbps.

So a 802.11g will be more than sufficient for web browsing plus some file & printer sharing & LAN gaming. 802.11b (now out of date anyway) is only really useful for web browsing.

Stick to the same manufacturer for your PC cards and wireless access point. I have had a LOT of problems in the past mixing & matching different makes of kit.

The free USB ADSL modem that BT/AOL/Wannado etc. give you will not be used. You need to have a wireless access point with built in ADSL modem. The US Robotics 9106 is one of the cheapest and I use one of these with no problems at all. The Netgear unit mentioned earlier in this thread is also well priced. I set one of these up in my sister's place a while ago, but I had to run a flash update on it before it would work properly with HTTPS websites (online banking etc).

If possible, install your Wireless access point close to one of your desktop PCs. This way, you can cable that PC into it, saving you the cost of one wireless PC card.

Finally, be sure to use 128-bit WEP encryption and/or MAC filtering on your wireless network to prevent others from accessing it. You'd be surprised how many people use wireless now. My wireless cards pick up 3 other wireless LANs in use in my street.

Last edited by antera309; 27 January 2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 27 January 2005, 09:41 AM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments.

All the computers, and wireless router, would be in the same room which is about 375 sq ft in size. It is a newly renovated office (old barn) and the walls have been dry lined with metal foil coated plasterboard. Mobile phones find it very difficult to pick up any signals whatsover. I hope this won't affect the wireless router.

We are going to end up sitting in a microwave oven !!!
Old 27 January 2005, 10:28 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

I can recommend this manufacturer for a wireless router

http://www.2wire.com/

Installation was mind bogglingly simple (the software installed properly first time)
On checking SheildsUp I found that my ports were closed. I went into the advanced config for the router and there was a checkbox that said "Run Stealth mode". After that, all ports were stealthed
There is also a checkbox which was pre-checked with "Allow Remote assistance connections" as my PC is set up to allow it.

It was just SO easy! (not like that frigging around with DMZ and port forwarding like on my previous Origo router!)

The other thing is the speed of the wireless transmission. The router itself is all hidden away downstairs and the receiver is out of the way as well. The signal strength is really powerful.

This is on a 2mbit line, and I am getting full connection speeds no problem. You also dont need any wireless netwrok cards, you just have USB connectors instead - really simple.

BT seel them in the UK - http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/cbx103