Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mac OS X 10.3.4 Server : shares not displaying contents properly.

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2005, 01:35 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Mac OS X 10.3.4 Server : shares not displaying contents properly.

Hopefully not to hard to explain..

Basically one day all was working fine, you could see the shares, and if you went into users you could then see the users dir.

Apparantly nothing has changed, next day.... if you connect to the users share, you could only see 15 out of the 200odd directorys..

and if you browsed to the data drive on the server, to the users area, you could still see all the home directorys, however, even on the server, if you went to workgroup manager -> sharing -> selected share points, then clicked on Users, you could only see the 15 directorys?!

Also the Groups share did not work at all, even though if you went to the data drive, groups, you can see all the listed areas, and all the permissions are intact for both instances..

To do a quick resolve, I stopped the sharing, and reset up the shares on how I believe they were setup (we took this server on and the users, so it is mostly all new to us, we are used to win2k domains etc!). This seems to have solved the problem.. however, when you go and create a new user, and click no create home dir, the directory is not created.

Also, some users are still having trouble connecting to their home drive.

And, under the username > home tab, it now links about four afp:// paths , when before it only had one..

what has happened? anyway to resolve this issue?

Hopefully the above makes sense, and if you need any more info please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Christian
Old 06 January 2005, 02:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Christian,
I'll try and help out here.

The directories not being visible sounds like a permissions issue. Here's what I'd suggest you do for ALL shares you have:

Go into workgroup manager, clikc the sharing diamond, then slect the 'sharepoints' tab.

Select a share. you'll see the share info on the right hand side, click the 'protocols' tab. Set the permissions model to 'use inherited permissions'. It's probably set to the defauly of 'unix permissions', this is, in my opinion, not a good thing. permissions on sub-folders of shares can get screwed up, and that is quite possibly what you're seeing. Once the option is selected, click 'save'

The next step, in theory would be to click o nthe 'geneal' tab, and click 'copy' to set the 'inherit from parent' bit on all sub-folders. Problem here is that it'll copy the ownership and permissions too. So if the sub-folders have differing permissions which you wanted to keep, you'd lose that and have to reset it all

you've done the sound thing in recreating the shares, you at least now know the known start state of things.

With regards to the home Dir not being created, hmm, it might only get created when the user connects for the first time. I know this used to be the case with some versions of X Server, but there is the 'create home folder' option which should create the directory then and there. It's odd it's not working correctly.

Tell you what. 10.3.4 is NOT the latest server version, but I doubt that's the problem, however, best to be on the latest. Use software update to get the 10.3.7. Server update. apply it, then reboot. Once you have rebooted login, but disable sharing. Then launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities/) and select the boot drive and slect 'repair permissions' option. Reboot the server, start sharing back up, see if you can create a home folder for the new users.

The AFP paths, hmm, odd, technically it should only have one in there. What are the paths it lists, do they related to shared folders? If not, remove them and make sure it has only the path to the actual directory where the user has thier home folder.
Old 07 January 2005, 12:01 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

thanks marcus, updated and ran the util still not creating home directories

it used to when u clicked on the create home drive, then clicking on save would create it.

Will try resetting the permissions next... dreading that, as will have to do manually re-do all the home dirs?

Also another issue, when connecting on a mac client to afs:// and logging on with admin, not allow permissions to sub dirs of a users home, but if connect through sbm:// it does?!
Old 07 January 2005, 02:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

It might be that the admin user does not, via AFP, have some kind of access to the users folder. My guess is that th "everyone" (unix 'world' or 'other' user) user is set to no access, and thus this will prevent even the admin user from gaining access to the folder. If the group permissions for the share includes the admin user and it has at least read only access, you should at least be able to get inot the directories, even if it's only with R/O access.
Old 22 February 2005, 07:17 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Finally solved this! It seemed as though the UNIX part of Mac OS X somehow (I don’t know why) created a virtual DATA drive in the /volumes hidden directory. This was causing the server to think there were 2 DATA drives hence the DATA 1. So when you click on Create Home Directory in Workgroup Manager it was creating all of the user folders in this virtual drive.

Needless to say I removed this virtual drive and now everything is now back to normal.
Old 22 February 2005, 10:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the update to this. Have to confess I forgot all about it.

Glad it's now working.

One of the downsides of OS X is the unix underpinnings, sometimes you have to get down and dirty and jump into terminal. I don't mind it, but I've seen people dive into there and cause all kinds of problems.

sudo rm -rf / anyone?