Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Flashing Motherboard BIOS

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2005, 08:17 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Motherboard BIOS

Quick question,

My mate has just bought a new motherboard and CPU, he knows for sure the BIOS need flashing on the motherboard as currently it will not support the new CPU, so quite obviously the PC wont boot.

Can he flash the BIOS with the new CPU in, even tho the PC wont boot to floppy, or will he need to put an older CPU in the motherboard, so the PC will boot to floppy and the BIOS can be flashed.

Cheers
Old 04 January 2005, 09:20 PM
Jubal
Scooby Regular

Depending upon what manufacturer the mobo is from you would need to boot into either DOS or windows to run the flash util. So you do need a CPU that will work.

Originally Posted by molko
Quick question,

My mate has just bought a new motherboard and CPU, he knows for sure the BIOS need flashing on the motherboard as currently it will not support the new CPU, so quite obviously the PC wont boot.

Can he flash the BIOS with the new CPU in, even tho the PC wont boot to floppy, or will he need to put an older CPU in the motherboard, so the PC will boot to floppy and the BIOS can be flashed.

Cheers
Old 04 January 2005, 09:50 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jubal
Depending upon what manufacturer the mobo is from you would need to boot into either DOS or windows to run the flash util. So you do need a CPU that will work.

ASUS Motherboard. Yeah thats what i thought, the PC needs to be able to boot to run the flash utils...

cheers
Old 04 January 2005, 10:13 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Is this the ASUS A8V (939pin) mobo?

If so, there is a way to boot off floppy even if the CPU isn't recognised - I think its in the manual, but I could try and dig out the details if you can confirm the motherboard model no.
Old 05 January 2005, 10:22 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

My new mobo Abit AN7 can upgrade Bios from within Windows

Absolute bliss

Mick
Old 05 January 2005, 10:53 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on why the BIOS won't "recognise" the CPU. If it's just a question of the CPU being recognised wrongly, then there's no problem. The difficulty usually occurs when a CPU needs more voltage than the motherboard will supply at default setting (needing less is not a problem) and so the system won't POST at default. It's always worth trying though - has he?

M
Old 06 January 2005, 11:38 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
My new mobo Abit AN7 can upgrade Bios from within Windows

Absolute bliss

Mick
People with the Abit AV8 were cursing this feature when they got one with bios 1.3 and a AMD64 939 Winchester chip.. couldn't boot the darn thing to flash the bios to support the chip!