Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iTunes CD Burning Question

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 09:59 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iTunes CD Burning Question

Chaps

Those who know this system, I have just started using it. Located, bought and downloaded a few tracks today, and all is well. It knows the name and artist of the track. To burn to a CD, I then created a playlist, added all these tracks to the playlist and then reorganised them. The names of the tracks were all there. I then burnt a CD.

However, when playing the CD in a CD text unit (my h/unit for example or even on the PC), none of the names or compilation names come up. Why is this and what am I doing wrong?

Secondly, the downloaded iTunes are on my machine so I thought I'd use Nero (another CD burning programme) to burn the CD as that works with CD text fine. Only the downloaded tracks are apparently encoded and are only 'decoded' or whatever by iTunes when being burnt to a CD. Again, it seems like I have no choice but to burn to CD using iTunes software. IS this correct?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Andy
Old 07 December 2004, 10:14 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hello Andy,

iTunes does not, as far as I am aware support CD TEXT when burning CDs. I was caught out by this, and a tad narked off as my head unit supported CD TEXT.

I used Toast (am on Mac, from sounds of it you're a PC chap) as it does have a 'CD TEXT' option, wham, no problems.

So, for that point, no, you're not doing anything wrong.

When it comes to the downloaded music from iTMS, yes, it's AAC Encoded. I am guessing Nero does not know how to deal with these. A friend of mine has suggested that you might want to download the latest version of Apple's Quicktime (6.2 I think) and see if Nero supports QuickTime encoding. If it does, then in theory, with the latest QuickTime, you should be able to burn the protected tracks and get CD TEXT

Also, have a look here Looks like a plugin for Nero that supports AAC files.

or

Have a read here Talks about a utility to convert AAC Protected files into unprotected files.

So, on both counts, there is nothing you've done wrong.
Old 07 December 2004, 10:26 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Markus

Quality info - thanks chap. Understand you feeling narked. I remember first hearing about CD text years ago and thought 'that would be great and sooo easy' - and yet still in this day and age it is barely supported. Confused - I am. WIll certainly do all the updates now on Nero though and see what happens.

My QuickTime is latest - 6.5.2 so should be ok. Indeed, I am on PC, so will download the 60 meg or so of all the updates for Nero and see what happens.

Thanks again - much appreciated for advising me I'm not a muppet at 10.30pm!
Old 07 December 2004, 10:31 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Incidentally, the PLayfair links you outlined above (thanks again!) are no longer active so wonder if someone slapped their wrists or handbags at dawn etc. Anyhow, hope the Nero solution will work or its no CD text. Not that it matters that much, but would be nice....

Andy
Old 07 December 2004, 11:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Prorbably was taken down due to 'legal problems' but I'm sure a google search would throw up a copy somewhere.

Hopefully Nero will cope, would have thought it could.
Old 08 December 2004, 08:32 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

I was just about to post a similar post to this.

Does this also apply for MP3 disks created with i-Tunes? When I create a disk I do get text showing on my head unit but its never in the correct order i.e. Track shows Album name etc etc..
Old 08 December 2004, 10:04 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Andy/Markus/Neil,

A few Q's here, hopefully I can answer most of them.

Use hymn available from http://hymn-project.org/ to remove the FairPlay protection from your AAC files. Beware that this still leaves your Apple ID embedded in the file itself, so don't go sharing your decrypted music around as they will be able to track down the original purchaser!

You can then create an audio CD with these files using whatever apps will support AAC to PCM (regular CD audio) decoding. If you use Nero and it allows you to set CD TEXT then you will get the results you're after.

Track information for MP3 discs (ie. a data format CD-R with folders containing .mp3 files) will be displayed according to how your HU handles ID3 tags, this is independent of iTunes.

FWIW, when I purchase music from the iTMS I immediately:
- Decrypt the .m4p tracks with hymn
- Remove the encrypted tracks from Library
- Put the encrypted tracks in a safe location
- Import decrypted .m4a tracks back into Library
- Sync iPod

That way my Library folder contains vanilla AAC files which I can stream to my XBox, burn to CD Audio using Toast or whatever I may need to do. The originals are stored in a safe place should I suffer disc failure etc.

Hope this helps!
Alex
Old 08 December 2004, 10:25 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Alex

Enormous help as well - many thanks for the outline. Yep, Nero will allow CD text and I like the fact that Nero, for example, allows you to set the spacing of tracks whereas iTunes only allows none or 2 secs - which on tracks like Road to Hell Pt 1 and 2, and Brick in the Wall Pt 1 and 2 means a 2 second gap loses the emphasis. Will re-record tonight having had this info.

Great stuff - thanks ;-)
Old 08 December 2004, 03:51 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Use hymn available from http://hymn-project.org/ to remove the FairPlay protection from your AAC files. Beware that this still leaves your Apple ID embedded in the file itself, so don't go sharing your decrypted music around as they will be able to track down the original purchaser
Good code but make sure you're running i-Tunes 4.6 because Hymn won't work with anything later (for now, at least).

Cheers
Kav
Old 09 December 2004, 08:02 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Kav

Correct - it didn;t work. Actually, the plugin for Nero I also installed and that failed to work as well. So it looks like I'll have to make do without CD text - which is not the end of the world, just a shame. Thanks again to all for you advice and assistance.

Andy
Old 09 December 2004, 08:21 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Ah *****, I forgot about the iTunes upgrade Because I'd converted some tracks before the change to v4.7, hymn had already extracted and stored my keys needed to decrypt the files so I haven't had any problems with the new version.

I'll keep you posted on the status of hymn though.
Old 09 December 2004, 04:41 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Kav

Correct - it didn;t work. Actually, the plugin for Nero I also installed and that failed to work as well. So it looks like I'll have to make do without CD text - which is not the end of the world, just a shame. Thanks again to all for you advice and assistance.

Andy
I can mail you 4.6 if you can't get hold of a copy.

Cheers
Kav