Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Vaio laptop CD drive problems

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2004, 11:08 PM
pan93wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi mate , if u can give me the model number of the laptop and the make and model of the drive itself (if poss) then i'll see what i can do. i repair these for a living and we may have a second hand one in stock.
cheers pete
Old 04 March 2005, 12:04 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bloody vaio's. Sounds like mine is doing the exact same. Was reading/writing fine and then nothing. Sounds like it just keeps rereading the disc and then eventually gives up.

Did you end up having to swap the drive out on yours Dave?
Old 04 March 2005, 03:41 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes mate, the mighty search button comes good again.

The laptop's only 6 weeks old so it's well under warranty but thanks of the info, I'll hold onto it for later. Paid extra for a vaio as my mates got one and swears by it, me , I'm swearing at it.

Never mind, looks like I'll be needing a new drive then.

Trending Topics

Old 05 March 2005, 09:14 PM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a vaio a couple of years ago pcg-fx405, and funny thing was it has a matsu-****-a drive too. Why any compant would want to put these drives into their machines is beyond me. After mine started to fail i had a look on the web to see how much a replacement one was, and found out that the particular model number of drive i had, seemed to be a widespread occurance with all vaio owners having the same drive, and different variations of it.

Anyways, just left it in its sorry state and never bothered to replace it untill i had to re-install xp for other reasons. In the end i got a lacie external ubs2/firewire cd writer. To date its the fastest drive i have seen (even though it is just a rebadged lite-on). So now even if that fails, its only gonna cost me about 15 sheets for a replacement writer.

Job Done.