Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Viewing 2 networks via 2 network cards

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2004, 09:36 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viewing 2 networks via 2 network cards

I don't use Windows systems, so I've just been asked a question I don't know the answer too.

There is 1 computer running XP, with 2 network cards. Each network card is on a seperate network.
How do you set up the XP machine so it can view both networks simultaniously??
Old 02 December 2004, 10:55 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Configure Bridging in Network Connections. Right-click one of the adapters and select Bridge Connections. IIRC it'll launch a wizard and guide you through it.

You'll obviously need to check on the adaptor settings that the correct protocols, gateways, WINS and DNS (all for TCP/IP) are setup to resolve names on both network segments.

Gateways like any other OS will tell it how to route IP to networks it doesn't know about locally.

WINS will resolve NETBIOS names and allow network browsing of Windows computers on both segments (assuming WINS is on both sides)

DNS again, like any other OS will resolve Internet names.

Stefan
Old 02 December 2004, 02:19 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

AFAIK.. you dont want to 'bridge connections' just add two net cards and configure each with an IP address for each relevant network.

Cant remeber how they disguise it these days.. but last thing you want is 'IP forwarding'
Old 02 December 2004, 02:26 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Eh, that makes no sense. If they are on 2 different networks, how will the host machine communicate between the 2 without constantly swapping its own IP address to fall into the network of each card?

Surely windows machines aren't intelligent to differentiate between networks and send packets down the correct address. It would essentially need router software to do that. (is that what the bridging incorporates?)

I know how I would do it on unix like systems, and I do have my CCNA, so I'm a qualified network engineer, I just don't know my way around Windows systems too well and I don't have one in front of me to try it out with.

Ozzys method sounds feasable.
Old 02 December 2004, 02:31 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

By fitting two network cards, if they are two networks on the same cable then assign the machine multiple IP addresses and the Routing table will decide what goes where.

If its two networks on the same cable and you are a ccna then why not alter the network mask, and or alter the routing table on the DG??
Old 02 December 2004, 02:34 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

just reread the q.

The machine has two network cables and two network cards..

Assign an IP address and NetMask to each card...

the PC's routing table will decide what goes where, depending on dg config.. as multihomed machines can be a ****.. but windows will deal with it..

Its not a problem and is very simple to do unless you want the pc to act as a router.

My option is also feasable, but you said yourself you dont use windows..

David
Old 02 December 2004, 04:31 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Yep I have this on a couple of my servers, just use 2 different subnets in the IP addresses, ie 192.169.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 we use this for replicating so as not to load the normal network.

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2004, 04:53 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I assumed Bridging was M$'s interpretation of the old Enable IP Forwarding checkbox. And yes I do know the difference between a Bridge and a Router before anyone points that out I've just never seen IP Forwarding mentioned in XP - only Bridging and so thought that was your only option other than using a hardware router instead.

This is lifted straight out the XP Help and Support, but I've never tried it or even read through it properly

Network Bridge overviewNetwork Bridge provides an inexpensive and easy way to connect local area network (LAN) segments. A LAN segment is a single section of network media that connects computers. For example, suppose you have three computers: computer A, computer B, and computer C. Computer A has two Ethernet network adapters, and computers B and C have one Ethernet network adapter each. An Ethernet cable connecting A to B creates one LAN segment. Another Ethernet cable connecting A to C creates another LAN segment.

Traditionally, if you want a network with more than one segment, you have two options: routing or bridging. IP routing is a common solution for connecting network segments. However, to set up IP routing you either must buy hardware routers or set up the computers at the junctions between segments to operate as routers. IP routing requires difficult IP addressing configuration for each computer on each network segment, and each network segment must be configured as a separate subnet. IP routing is a good solution for large networks, where scalability is important, and where there is an experienced staff to configure and maintain the network. A bridge does not require difficult configurations, but you must purchase additional hardware bridges. Neither of these options are ideal if you have a home or small office network, do not want to purchase expensive bridging hardware, and do not have experienced staff to administer an IP routing network.

With Network Bridge, you can connect LAN segments by selecting the appropriate network connection icons and clicking Bridge Connections. Equally easily, you can enable the bridge and add connections to it. The network bridge manages your network segments and creates a single subnet for the entire network. There is no configuration required, and you do not need to purchase additional hardware such as routers or bridges. IP addressing, address allocation, and name resolution is easy to do in a single subnet IP network.

The network bridge can create connections between different types of network media. In a traditional network, if you are using mixed media types you need a separate subnet for each type of media, and packet forwarding is required for each one of the network's multiple subnets. Packet forwarding is required because different protocols are used for different types of media. Network Bridge automates the configuration required to forward information from one type of media to another.

Only one bridge can exist on a computer running Windows XP, but you can use it to bridge as many network connections as the computer can physically accommodate. For information about creating a network bridge, see Bridge Connections.

Spanning tree algorithm
Network Bridge uses the IEEE spanning tree algorithm (STA) to establish a loop-free forwarding topology. When there are multiple paths in a bridged network, loops can form and the simple forwarding rules of a bridge can cause forwarding storms, a condition in which the same frame is relayed endlessly from one bridge to another. STA provides an automated mechanism to selectively disable bridge forwarding on individual ports as necessary to ensure that the forwarding topology is loop-free. You do not need to configure Network Bridge for the spanning tree algorithm.
Old 02 December 2004, 04:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I guess if you just want the workstation to talk to machines on both sides of the network, then as David says you would just assign them IP/Network addresses according to both segments, inc. and WINS/DNS you may need for name resolution and that should work fine.

The IP Routing or Bridging would only be required if you want other machines on each segment to start talking to each other - which you don't.

Short answer is forget what I said at the start ..... oh, you have already

Stefan