Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPod Software Update Question

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 07:54 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Software Update Question

When I connect my iPod to my Mac to sync it I get a message that version 3.0.2 of the iPod software is available.

If I install that update will it require me to have iTunes 4.7 in order to sync? I don't particularly want to install iTunes 4.7 as it restricts certain copying.

Anyone know?

Cheers,

Jack
Old 29 November 2004, 08:34 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Father Jack Hackett
When I connect my iPod to my Mac to sync it I get a message that version 3.0.2 of the iPod software is available.

If I install that update will it require me to have iTunes 4.7 in order to sync? I don't particularly want to install iTunes 4.7 as it restricts certain copying.

Anyone know?

Cheers,

Jack
I wouldn't bother updating the Ipod SW, as it's working fine now isn't it? I had too, as I bought a new Alpine headunit and it didn't recognise the Ipod SW version. It made me update my Itunes SW, but this is all on a PC. Never really used Itunes before, but wish I did. I got 18 days of continuos music, but it all muddled up. I wish I knew how to get the music into a logical format

Phill
Old 29 November 2004, 10:31 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Father Jack Hackett

Anyone know?

Cheers,

Jack
Yup, my guess would be that it will politely nudge you into 4.7.

What "certain copying" are you trying to do? If you just want to be able to take tracks off your pod using iPod Download then I have a registered copy of iPod Access you can have a go of, that lets you take tracks from it and it keeps all the ID3 info

If you are looking to strip out the DRM using Hymn or something, then the latest Hymn supports 4.7 also now.

If you are trying to play tunes bought from Real using Harmony, then erm, I think you may need a doctor

Like babber said though, if it ain't broke then don't fix it Sometimes you get slightly better battery life with updates but other than that many of the features are just background firmware things.
Old 29 November 2004, 11:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Another little Mac Util for copying items from your iPod is Podworks.

I'm reformatting my iPod from PC to Mac format, and just used podworks to copy off 4600 odd songs. Very swift indeed.

Another cool util I'm using is ListSaver, allows you to save out your playlists, rebuild your library, then reimport all your playlists, perfect!

As for the new iPod software, well, I'm ****, so I just updated to it, but that's mainly as I was doing a complete restore of the iPod so it made sense.
Old 30 November 2004, 10:33 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps. I think I'll go along with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" gang.

Angrynorth - yep that's what I meant. Does iPod Access work with 4.7?
Old 01 December 2004, 04:43 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Can't see anything on the iPod Access website saying it won't work, so I guess you're ok. From what I can see, it's a separate app, not an iPod plugin, so it'll be ok. iTunes 4.7 hasn't change the format of how the music is stored on the iPod, and that's the only change I can think of that would effect such and application from working.

As said, if you do have problems with it, I know for 100% certain Podworks does work with v4.7, as does ListSaver 2.0 (that is a little godsend of a program)