Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Installing HL2

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 09:27 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing HL2

When I installed HL2 (possibly because I had my ADSL connection 'open') everything went off in auto, offering me few options, such that I ended up with a thing called a "Steam" account; an application which keeps whingeing to be connected, and an even further extended load sequence as I have to close down various green windows.

My copy of "HL2.exe" (as opposed to Steam.exe) is in some remote directory but refuses to load for lack of one of the .dll files. In order to play in bog-standard old-fashioned stand-alone style (with the console available, as the -console switch doesn't apparently work with steam.exe) have I any option other than de-install and re-install with the ADSL connection firmly not loaded?? Would it work, even if I did?

'part from that, love it!!!

Phil
Old 29 November 2004, 09:35 AM
JamesPRJones
Scooby Regular

You need to install Steam and register for it to work. Steam seems to be the norm for a lot of new games these days. It works a bit like GameSpy but without the annoying adverts.
The install did take ages on my machine, and my friends had problems too.

Once in, it is a fantastic game, although I wished I played it on Hard rather than Medium difficulty. I've finished it but only had one hard part where I spent 30 mins to get through (the prison with 3 gun turrets).

I'll redo the game on Hard now.
Old 29 November 2004, 10:55 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a way of playing with steam disabled. sometihn to do with logging in and checking the "remember password" option. o something like it.

goto steampowered.com and have a read.
Old 29 November 2004, 10:58 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
there is a way of playing with steam disabled. sometihn to do with logging in and checking the "remember password" option. o something like it.

goto steampowered.com and have a read.
Hello

Once everything has been validated and updated via steam, you can check the "remember password" and if an internet connection isn't present you can still play HL2.

Annoyingly you still need the CD though.

Steve.
Old 29 November 2004, 12:06 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Hello

Once everything has been validated and updated via steam, you can check the "remember password" and if an internet connection isn't present you can still play HL2.

Annoyingly you still need the CD though.

Steve.
Mines set on remember password and logs me in automatically etc, but if I disable the net connection it comes up can't connect to steam and won't let me run the game............
Old 29 November 2004, 12:08 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys. Yep, I can get it to play OK without logging on....it's just a PITA having to go through the extra steps in what is already a fairly long loading procedure.

But the thing is this.....even these days not everyone has an Internet connection, and a game not playable stand-alone would be at risk under trades descriptions etc. Therefore - presumably - it ought to have offered the option, and it ought to be able to be made to run offline without the rigmarole.

Anyone know how to get the console up??

And - bearing in mind I'd never dream of playing 'deathmatch' type games - is there any advantage from going online (other than to get any patches automatically, I presume)?

TIA

Phil
Old 29 November 2004, 12:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
But the thing is this.....even these days not everyone has an Internet connection, and a game not playable stand-alone would be at risk under trades descriptions etc. Therefore - presumably - it ought to have offered the option, and it ought to be able to be made to run offline without the rigmarole.
Hello

On the box it says Internet Connection required.

Steve.
Old 29 November 2004, 12:39 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Hi ScoobyJawa....long time no hear (but I'm not on the Board very often these days)...... running an 02STi/PPP now!

Mine does put up a green splash screen when it finds the connection not connected, and then offers me the chance to play offline: and if I disable the -applaunch220 switch in the shortcut, it still allows me to do so, tho' I have to choose between a number of categories of game, not all of which I understand!!

Cheers

Phil
Old 29 November 2004, 12:51 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

it still loads steam pops up a window and have to click on the start steam offline mode....
Old 29 November 2004, 02:28 PM
RoosterRoo
Scooby Regular

Anyone know how to get the console up??
Yeah, if you right click halflife 2 in the my games section and go to properties there is a tab for start up options. Add the line -console then you can pull up the console by using the ` key during the game.
Old 29 November 2004, 04:07 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hi ScoobyJawa....long time no hear (but I'm not on the Board very often these days)...... running an 02STi/PPP now!
l
[off topic]

Hiya Phil! Me too re the board, busier work and different cars means I have a few to frequent! Scoob went, runabout 205 GTi came, kept that and added a supra, killed that and now have an R33 GTR!

Cool re the Sti - how are you finding that in comparison?

(still kind of hanker after an STi 6 Type R...... )

[/off topic]
Old 29 November 2004, 04:58 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa

YHM

Phil
Old 30 November 2004, 06:56 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

It does add extra hassle to playing but tbf you cant blame them with the amount of software piracy going on. If we want games of this standard to keep being developed then Im prepared to accept the longer load time.

BTW the console is a tick box option within the game.

Simon.
Old 30 November 2004, 08:51 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Simon - hadn't spotted that!

Cheers

Phil