Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

unknown driver causing crash (computer!)

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2004, 11:44 AM
joni
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question unknown driver causing crash (computer!)

Unable to access XP because of some fatal disc error. On advice I got a second hard disc and am transferring as much as I can to the new drive. All programmes lost but most files are still recoverable.

I used the supplied Mesh recover CD and other supplied software to get things up and running. So far so reasonable except that it keeps crashing when pressing search occasionally or when moving to certain sites when connected to the internet (Broadband via Netgear router).

I get the error reporting thing and and information which did say that it was a graphics driver error. I have reinstalled ATI drivers twice and searched to no avail for an upgrade (Radeon 9000). It keeps crashing and restarting as before except that now the message is telling me that it is a device driver rather than specifically a graphics driver.

Is there a utility that can narrow down the search or does anyone have any bright ideas for a bit of a novice?
Old 22 November 2004, 11:56 AM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

go to ATi and get a program called driver cleaner, you will find it here under maintenance utilities http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...3&submit=GO%21

then boot in safe mode (keep pressing F8 after you press the start button) and choose safe mode. run the driver cleaner util and then reboot. reinstall you ati drivers and see if that helps.
Old 22 November 2004, 02:46 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

That did it...I'm obliged!
Old 22 November 2004, 08:29 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Errr...well not quite it would seem. Same problem is reoccuring. It happens when clicking on some but not all web links. My Netgear USB to ethernet adaptor is the only other device that when I try and disable or update the driver causes a crash. Device manager says all is well though...baffled
Old 23 November 2004, 11:36 AM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Is this a new problem Joni? Have you changed anything recently? When did it start to happen? Maybe you can do a system restore to before the date the problems started (start, all programs, accesories, system tools, system restore). Maybe you could try starting in safe mode with networking option. THis will load your network card drivers but not the video (not sure if it will load usb, which will be a problem). Try to find out what is giving you grief and also try uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them for the network card.

Dont know how much time you have got for reading but this site is pretty helpful
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forums/all
Old 23 November 2004, 02:32 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

The problem has occured since switching the hard drive, so using System Restore I don't think will help. I have run BT Yahoo diagnostics which appear to be okay. I have also now reinstalled drivers for the network adaptor to no improvement. My Laptop which is on the same wireless LAN is fine BTW. Your help to date is much appreciated!