Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Get Rid Of UnWanted Spam - My Way

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 12:31 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Get Rid Of UnWanted Spam - My Way

Some anchor has harvested my domain at some point and insists on sending spam to a couple of spurious names it has invented. These in turn have become the victims of further spam harvesting techniques and viruses & the result is that I get between 10 & 50 of these things a day to my domain.

Not normally a problem but I collect my email from my ISP via EFS (by chimera.nz) into an Exchange Server & it cannot seem to deal with this spam stuff

Bottom line is that on attempting to connect, it doesn't seem to recognise it & freezes/timesout

However, I have found the joys of ISP re-write

Now these emails are received at my ISP's mail servers and bounced straight off to new addresses No longer will I be plagued by this ****

What is even better, for those that might think that this is a bit norty, is that they get bounced to a couple of Gmail accoounts I set up for the purpose. Visit your account and designate the cr@p received as Spam & it all goes off to the spam hole to be deleted in 30 days time

I think the reason that EFS had a problem is that the spam is 99% russian in origin & it can't deal with cryllic!

Anyhow, its all GONE

Old 20 November 2004, 09:23 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm disappointed I thought you had tracked down a spammer in real life and you were going to show a video of him being tortured and then employed as a slave to manually clean your inbox of spam every morning
Old 20 November 2004, 09:57 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is similar to my setup. I have my domain hosted by Force9 and I can create individual mailboxes, or redirects to other addresses. for example I used to have sms@domain redirected to a genie address.
I use a different email address for EVERY website I sign up to (eg. scoobynet.co.uk@domain) and then I know who leaked my address to the spammers and I just redirect this to a blackhole address that Force9 have set up specially for this purchase.