Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cable / DSL modems

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2004, 12:44 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable / DSL modems

Currently using NTL. Thinking about replacing my cable modem.

Does anyone know of a cable modem which you can manually change the MAC address?

I figure it is going to easier to change the MAC address of the new modem, to match the old modem's MAC address, then re-register with NTL!

TIA

Buck

Last edited by Buckrogers; 19 November 2004 at 12:47 AM.
Old 19 November 2004, 01:09 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I dont think that is gonna work. Every piece of network kit has an individual mac addy. If my understanding is correct, this is hard wired. You cannot change it
Old 19 November 2004, 08:03 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
I dont think that is gonna work. Every piece of network kit has an individual mac addy. If my understanding is correct, this is hard wired. You cannot change it
Yep. The mac address is there for a reason - as a unique identifier for each piece of network hardware. There maybe ways around it but I dont really see the point when all you have to do is speak to NTL and register the new one - calling them is a pain but you should only have to do it once.

Simon.
Old 19 November 2004, 09:45 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Not true.

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Yep. The mac address is there for a reason - as a unique identifier for each piece of network hardware. There maybe ways around it but I dont really see the point when all you have to do is speak to NTL and register the new one - calling them is a pain but you should only have to do it once.

Simon.
If there's an alternative to having to speak to NTL to try and do anything, I will always take it. Some of the guys n girls there do know what they are doing, the rest, I would not let them wash my car.

After a bit of searching, for anyone that is interested:
Belkin 4 port Cable / DSL modem F5D5230 has the ability to enter a MAC address or clone (for the novices) the MAC address of the first NIC available, should you need to.

Thanks anyway.

Buck

Last edited by Buckrogers; 19 November 2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 19 November 2004, 09:48 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

BTW, "(for the novices)" I was NOT referring to you guys. Please dont take that the wrong way!

Buck