Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

FAO Invisibleman re XP120 CPU cooler

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2004, 08:54 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking FAO Invisibleman re XP120 CPU cooler

Hi,

Remember a while back you wanted to know how I got on with this beast of a cooler!

Well, not hugely impressed so far, although there now only seems to be a 12 degree difference between idle and load, where as I was getting more like 15 with the Zalman 7000B Cu. It may be that I've not got the levels of Artic Silver quite right, but based on a idle:32-34 and load: circa 44-45, it is ok.

Was a bit of a pain to fit, but thankfully uses the existing mobo backplate, you just replace the plastic cradle with a thermalright version.

Well, was playing HL2 last night, looks amazing and plays very well.
My problem, touch wood, seems to have been a second duff PSU.

Spec:
FX53 / ASUS A8V rev2 / OCZ PC3700 EB 1Gb
6800 GT / Audigy 2 ZS / 2x NEC DVDRW drives
Enermax Noisetaker 470W / floppy / 2x Vantec Nexus fan controllers
CM Stacker

Hope all is well, Alex
Old 19 November 2004, 10:05 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Hi alex,

I looked into the xp120 but it wouldnt fit on the Abit AI7, well not without removing the NB HSF.
Im getting a 5c rise with the 7000BALCU compared to the intels stock. I might put that back on and use some Artic silver next time. Ive heard it takes awhile for it to settle down and work at its optimal.

when playing hl2 its getting to 79, 49pwd, 39sys Have to have the side door slightly open.
Old 19 November 2004, 12:42 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
Hi alex,

I looked into the xp120 but it wouldnt fit on the Abit AI7, well not without removing the NB HSF.
Im getting a 5c rise with the 7000BALCU compared to the intels stock. I might put that back on and use some Artic silver next time. Ive heard it takes awhile for it to settle down and work at its optimal.

when playing hl2 its getting to 79, 49pwd, 39sys Have to have the side door slightly open.
Without wanting to worry you too much, 79 is very high, I would suggest either too little or too much thermal grease has been used.

I would expect your CPU to hit a max of 60 under load (prime) with a 7000B Alcu it, I found it took me a while to work out the right amount of AS5 to put on the CPU before mounting the heatsink. It seems to be a bit of a black art.

I basically spread AS really really thinly over the CPU with a piece of plastic card, basically put a very small amount and work it from the center out until the CPU is covered (and yes I know the CPU core is the important bit to cover )... then put a very small amount in the centre of the heat sink.. this seems to work, I found most aftermarket coolers don't exactly sit flat...

Hope that helps, Alex