Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hard Drives ATA133 / SATA ??

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2004, 01:54 PM
200+Bhp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hard Drives ATA133 / SATA ??

Having had several Maxtor drives of varying sizes fail in a few machines and another one less than 2 years old on the way out, its time to try another manufacturer I think !

For a while now I have been using ATA133 on a Raid O configuration.

Any opinions or preferences between Western Digital or Seagate.

Is there much difference between 133 and SATA ?? how about running SATA using Raid O ?

Also looked at the WD Raptor which seems pretty impressive but largest is 74g @ £117 where as you can buy a Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 250GB for the same price.

MB is Asus A7N8X Deluxe and I do a bit of Video editing as a sort of hobby

Any real world opinions would be appricated.

Cheers
Old 17 November 2004, 02:30 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

SISandra reckons My RAID 0 IDE 133 with twin Maxtor 7200, 8Mb cache drives and Highpoint 404 RAID Card out performs most motherboard based SATA RAID 0 arrays, so I guess it's down to preference. A good SATA RAID Controller will out perform an IDE one. BUT IMHO a lot of motherboard based controllers leave something to be desired.

I was tempted to upgrade to SATA when I upgraded my PC last week, but in the end decided not to.
Old 17 November 2004, 05:12 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK ATA133 is only available with Maxtor drives, but I wait to be corrected. But it's no faster in sustained use than ATA100 anyway.

Personally I found SATA faster than two ATA100 drives in RAID 0, but that's real life, not artificial benchmarks. As for Seagate v. WD, both are as good as each other. Unless you go for WD Raptors, which way faster than other SATA drives and RAID on IDE - hence the inflated price. Essentially it's a SCSI drive with SATA interface. Two of them in RAID 0 would be good, but not on nForce2 motherboards: the RAID performance of that chipset is fairly poor. Since you have nForce2 I'd suggest just a big SATA drive.

M
Old 17 November 2004, 07:37 PM
200+Bhp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thanks guys, I actually have 2 Maxtor 200g on a Raid O running off a HighPoint RocketRaid 133 controller.

Have lost a lot of stuff before due to maxtor leaving the building and dont fancy it again, one of them ocassionally doesnt spin up ?

SeaGate seem to offer a 5 year warranty which sounds good, Western Digital Caviar look to be 3yrs with the Raptor 5yrs, Maxtor lowest with 2yrs.

Just cautious as I have only ever used Maxtors before and dont want to buy something worse !!
Old 17 November 2004, 07:38 PM
200+Bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
SISandra reckons My RAID 0 IDE 133 with twin Maxtor 7200, 8Mb cache drives and Highpoint 404 RAID Card out performs most motherboard based SATA RAID 0 arrays, so I guess it's down to preference. A good SATA RAID Controller will out perform an IDE one. BUT IMHO a lot of motherboard based controllers leave something to be desired.

I was tempted to upgrade to SATA when I upgraded my PC last week, but in the end decided not to.
what did you end up going for ?
Old 17 November 2004, 08:00 PM
200+Bhp
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
AFAIK ATA133 is only available with Maxtor drives, but I wait to be corrected. But it's no faster in sustained use than ATA100 anyway.

Personally I found SATA faster than two ATA100 drives in RAID 0, but that's real life, not artificial benchmarks. As for Seagate v. WD, both are as good as each other. Unless you go for WD Raptors, which way faster than other SATA drives and RAID on IDE - hence the inflated price. Essentially it's a SCSI drive with SATA interface. Two of them in RAID 0 would be good, but not on nForce2 motherboards: the RAID performance of that chipset is fairly poor. Since you have nForce2 I'd suggest just a big SATA drive.

M
do you think then that using my raid card with 2 IDE drives even if they were ATA100 would be comparable to 2 SATA drives using the onboard chipset ?
Old 17 November 2004, 10:50 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that is about the performance of the nForce2 SATA RAID, yes - but I've not bothered with RAID on my NF7-S so I can't be certain.

M