Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Making my USB printer and scanner wireless?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2004, 10:00 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my USB printer and scanner wireless?

I'm interested in finding out how to make my USB devices available on my wireless network. Is this possible?

Currently I'm using a BT Voyager 2000 Wireless ADSL modem, but at the moment the USB devices are all hooked up to my laptop.

Do i need a dedicated machine to act as a printer/scanner server?

Any advice on what to buy would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Richard
Old 17 November 2004, 10:19 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

You can get wireless access points with USB ports, but they only act as a printer server; they don't make any USB device wireless.
Old 17 November 2004, 10:24 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by class_A
You can get wireless access points with USB ports, but they only act as a printer server; they don't make any USB device wireless.
So, if i plug the USB cable on the printer into a wireless access point - will the printer work?

All I need to do is to be able to leave the printer and scanner in a seperate room, and any computer on my network be able to print to / scan from them...I just don't want to have any of the devices permenantly connected to my PC.

Richard
Old 17 November 2004, 10:57 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Get an Airport Express and plug your printer into its USB port. You can put your printer anywhere then and the Airport Express will act as a print server/ also a handy music server if you like that sort of thing.

Windows and Mac

www.apple.com/airport
Old 17 November 2004, 11:49 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty straighforward with printers as all you need is some device to act as the print server - access point, dedicated print server, Airport Express, etc..

Intel are promotong WUSB (Wireless USB), but I haven't seen any devices or read anything more technically on it.

Even if the hardware is out there, I'm not sure how you would get the scanning software and drivers to use the scanner on the wireless network. The drivers will look for a local USB: name, so you may need some additional software to redirect it to the network. Of course, the WUSB devices may just make the device look like another shared network device in a Windows environment.

Stefan
Old 17 November 2004, 01:21 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Scanners won't work. The USB port on your network device does not "extend" your PC's USB ports, it turns your printer into a network printer and you configure it as such. You tell your PC to print via the network, not via USB.

These "print server" devices cannot deal with other devices, they are for printing only.