Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Hard Drive Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2004, 10:51 PM
DoMJoLLy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hard Drive Problem

Hi,
I have just installed XP on a new hard drive and decided to partition it 100Gb and 60Gb. All that is showing is the 60Gb in "my computer".............what have I done wrong?

My first time on XP as well. About time too been running ME for too long

TIA

DoM
Old 08 November 2004, 11:51 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Did you format it as 100 and 60, or 60 and 100?

Try right clicking on My Computer > Manage > Disc Management. You will see the physical hard drives in the lower part of right window (Disk 0 is the first (or only) hard drive), and on the right of the physical drive number are the partitions it contains. The 100gig will probably be there, and assumingyou have already formatted it, will show the file system used (FAT32/NTFSshowing Healthy but without a drive letter allocated. Right click on the partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". The rest should be self-explanatory. Once you have assigned a drive letter, you should see it in My Computer.
Old 09 November 2004, 12:16 AM
DoMJoLLy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by Figment
Did you format it as 100 and 60, or 60 and 100?

Try right clicking on My Computer > Manage > Disc Management. You will see the physical hard drives in the lower part of right window (Disk 0 is the first (or only) hard drive), and on the right of the physical drive number are the partitions it contains. The 100gig will probably be there, and assumingyou have already formatted it, will show the file system used (FAT32/NTFSshowing Healthy but without a drive letter allocated. Right click on the partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths". The rest should be self-explanatory. Once you have assigned a drive letter, you should see it in My Computer.
Whoops, I must have forgot to format the 100gig partition, whats the best way to tackle this. In disc management it is showing 100gig>unallocated
Old 09 November 2004, 08:35 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

In Disk Management right click on the unallocated space and you will see an option to format it.
Old 09 November 2004, 08:35 PM
DoMJoLLy
Scooby Regular

Wink Thanks

Originally Posted by Figment
In Disk Management right click on the unallocated space and you will see an option to format it.
Worked a treat thankyou very much.

Decided to have 3 partitions.

DoMJoLLy