Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IMAC G4 WiFi advice

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2004, 01:10 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAC G4 WiFi advice

Hi,

I've just bought myself an Apple Imac G4, simply to sit in the living room for web browsing etc (Looks better than a PC !)

Anyway, I already use WiFi via a 3com ADSL router around the house. The question is can I connect the Imac to the router via WiFi.

If so how !

I have a spare NETGEAR W121 USB WiFi adaptor ~ but it appears this is PC only...

Any advise ?

Ta

Mark
Old 30 October 2004, 03:28 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackscooby
Hi,

I've just bought myself an Apple Imac G4, simply to sit in the living room for web browsing etc (Looks better than a PC !)

Anyway, I already use WiFi via a 3com ADSL router around the house. The question is can I connect the Imac to the router via WiFi.

If so how !

I have a spare NETGEAR W121 USB WiFi adaptor ~ but it appears this is PC only...

Any advise ?

Ta

Mark

Simple.Buy yourself an airport extreme card (if it hasnt got one already), then restart and the mac will pick up the new port automatically when you launch the network control panel.Select aiport as your prefered network device and configure it via static or dhcp depending on your router config.Then click apply now.then go up to the airport symbol in your top menu bar (looks like 3-4 lines radiating upwards), drop down to select your wifi network and enter a wep password if you have one and voila...

Oh just in case you dont know where the card goes below is the link

Click on airport pdf link
Old 31 October 2004, 11:44 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Have you tried using the USB wi-fi adapter? My cousin uses a USb wifi dongle to connect to the net on his Mac.

I'd give it a try before you get the Airport, if not then the Airport is great
Old 31 October 2004, 01:05 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I've been reading the MAC forums on the Apple web site. Would appear that the DLINK DWL-122 is suitable for USB WiFi connectivity so ordered one of those for approx £25 ~ bargain compaired to the cost of the (now obselete) Apple Airport cards on Ebay.

Also recommend downloading the latest driver from the DLINK Singapore website and not the UK site as this isn't the latest driver !

Thanks

Mark