Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Problems with WinXP Pro SPII update

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2004, 06:53 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems with WinXP Pro SPII update

I have a couple of PC's at work and home that I had tried to update with SPII. One self-assembled PC that has gone through the SP1 update earlier went without problem. Another unit loaded from the same original XP Pro disk, but without going through the SP1 package, hanged after the update, even though it reported successful download and installation. The WinXP start-up screen would load, then went dead. The third unit, a Compaq unit, reported an error after installation, and I didn't want to take the risk of trying again and getting hung like in the second case. Strange. Even with broadband, it takes half an hour at least per download, so better check with others what could be the problem first before trying again.
Thanks.
Old 28 October 2004, 07:52 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

SP2 is around 260Mb so it would take a while to download even on broadband.
It's possible to un-install SP2 by going to the Add/Remove Programs part of the Control Panel. If you can't access Windows at all, try putting in the XP disc and selecting repair from the installation menu, or boot into safe mode if possible.
If a re-format isn't going to be a major pain, then do it, it's probably the easiest way.
Old 28 October 2004, 08:29 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

MJW, that's what I did with the second PC, using the repair option, and for the third one, uninstalled the SPII package. So now relying on Spybot S&D, Zone Alarm and Norton AV instead of trying to install SPII again until I can determine where's the source of the problem. If WinXP runs after update, at least I can use the recovery routine to revert back to the previous working version, but if it fails to boot, it is an all-nite job doing a clean reboot.