Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Home network/broadband help please

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2004, 02:12 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home network/broadband help please

Hi, I have just ordered broadband for our house, but am a bit confused as to what cables/adaptors I need. So far we have:
Router which connects the point in the 4 bedrooms
ASDL modem with RJ45 connection (which I guess goes in to one of the 'ports' on the router), phone line connection, and USB connection (won't be needed?)
(none of the above are being supplied by our provider)
Phoneline with phone plugged in

Now the bit I'n confused about:
1/ What sort of adaptor do I need to plug in at the phone socket to enable both the modem and phone to be connected?
and
2/ What sort of cable do i need to go from the phone socket to the modem, as the RJ11 one provided with it is not long enough?

Hope it makes sense,
TIA
Bex
Old 21 October 2004, 02:31 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

1) You need a microfilter (available from Maplins or from http://www.adslguide.com) . One required for each telephone point in the house that a telephone/fax/sky box will be used on. Plug the filter into the existing telephone point and on the back are two sockets - one for the phone and one for the ADSL modem.

2) You should be able to buy an RJ11 extension from Maplins, or you can use a telephone extension lead and then plug the microfilter into the socket at the PC end of the lead. If you go this route and want to use a phone in the original socket as well, then get an extension lead with built in BT socket in the plug. Unplug phone from socket, plug extension lead in, plug mictofilter into socket on back of plug, plug phone into this. Plug another microfilter into PC end of extension lead, plug ADSL modem into this.

Hope you can understand all of the above
Old 21 October 2004, 02:32 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

The ADSL modem should have come with at least one modulator which plugs into the phone socket. This then allows the phone and the ADSL modem to connect to the same point.

Not sure about extending the RJ11 cable although it should be OK. The more usual way of doing this is to extend the phone line to where your computer is and connect the ADSL modem there.

This is from memory (I installed a BT ADSL modem a year ago), but it came with two modulators and if you have multiple phones connected in the house you need a modulator for each one. I might have remembered this incorrectly though, but somebody else will put me right on this.
Old 21 October 2004, 02:33 PM
Ken S55
Scooby Regular

you need a microfilter to plug in to the phone socket which has a connection for the rj11 cable and one for the phone cable. You need to use an rj11 cable between the modem and phone socket, if it is too short then get a longer one.

Alternatively, get a telephone extension cable and plug that in to your phone socket, then plug the microfilter into the extension cable, and the rj11 cable and phone cables into your microfilter.

You also need a microfilter for each other phone socket or extension you use.

Last edited by Ken S55; 21 October 2004 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added bit about extra microfilters
Old 21 October 2004, 02:45 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Does the phone have to be plugged in to the microfilter, or can I get one of them adaptor jobbies that split one phone socket to 2, then have the phone off one and an extension cable off the other to the filter and modem?

Last edited by BexTait; 21 October 2004 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Only have 1 phone socket in teh whole house
Old 21 October 2004, 03:36 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

You will need two microfilters.

Double adapter into the existing phone socket. Microfilter into one side, plugging your phone into the back of the microfilter. Extension lead into the other side, 2nd microfilter into end of extension lead and modem into that.

You will end up with an unused socket on each of the microfilters.
Old 22 October 2004, 12:19 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Cheers, i take it it's a normal phone extension cable?

Duh, yes it is a normal phone extension cable as others won't fit in the socket

Last edited by BexTait; 22 October 2004 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Me being half asleep