Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Two MACs - One Broadband connection through aiport??!

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2004, 08:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Two MACs - One Broadband connection through aiport??!

G5 is connected to the internet using the airport card to wireless router in neighbours house (he knows!)

G5 is also connected to hub using ethernett, other mac is connected to hub using ethernet.

For some reason enabling share internet connection doesn't work, I can ping the router address given out by the DHCP/G5 but cant get on the net.

Anyone know if it's possible because it seems like it is usually used to share the net connection over airport not the airport connection over the network.

The Sharing control panel allows you to choose which connection to share so it *should* work.

Anyone done this?

Rich
Old 19 October 2004, 09:24 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Only things I can think of... (assuming you mean Mac/Macintosh and not MAC/Media Access Control)

1) Wired client Mac is attempting to get an IP via DHCP. Both the G5 and your neighbour's WiFi are handing out addresses and confusing the poor thing. I think Mac OS X Connection Sharing automagically turns on DHCP, so you can either specify your "wired" IPs manually (say 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0) or you can switch off DHCP on the WiFi access point itself (better from a security point-of-view).

2) You might need to specify a DNS manually on the wired client mac. Any will do, but the DNS provided by the ISP will be marginally faster.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 19 October 2004, 09:56 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

But isn't the G5 acting as a 'virtual' router here and handing out the IP address to the wired mac. The wired mac has no way of talking to the BB router other than through the G5s wireless connection. Therefore the wired mac should be using the IP address of the G5 (in router mode) as it's router address.

Therefore the fact that both are handing out IPs shouldn't matter....

Confused...
Old 20 October 2004, 09:14 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichB
But isn't the G5 acting as a 'virtual' router here and handing out the IP address to the wired mac. The wired mac has no way of talking to the BB router other than through the G5s wireless connection. Therefore the wired mac should be using the IP address of the G5 (in router mode) as it's router address.

Therefore the fact that both are handing out IPs shouldn't matter....

Confused...
As the G5 is routing as you say, I thought it might be passing wired Mac <-> WiFi DHCP traffic as well as trying to hand out its own?

Anyway, you said you could ping the WiFi router from the wired Mac, so my bets are still on DNS

Someone help us out!
Old 20 October 2004, 11:07 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

>Anyway, you said you could ping the WiFi router from the wired Mac, so my bets are still on DNS

Ah, thats not what I meant, I meant I could ping the router address given to the wired mac by the G5 via DHCP. So basically, the wired mac is getting no further than the G5.
Old 20 October 2004, 11:20 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

firewall on the Airport Mac?

Dan
Old 20 October 2004, 07:25 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

firewall is not running, all ports are open