Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Graphics Card problem

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 08:06 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphics Card problem

I have a major problem with the GeForce 6800 graphics card, I think!!!

The problem has been getting worse over time, so much so that I cannot use the pc with the graphics card enabled now.

If I turn the hardware acceleration down to 'none' via the display settings option OR I disable the monitor adaptor card in the device profile settings, then the pc can function ok. Well it is a bit slow and it takes a while to refresh the screen but nothing compared to what has been happening!!

THE PROBLEM IS:

When I scroll through a document or a page on the internet or in fact anything that requires the screen to scroll, well the characters do not get displayed correctly when they get scrolled.

The page is fine when you first see it but a soon as you scroll the page up or down, the characters go all fuzzy and you cannot read anything at all.

I have tried everything, re-installed the nvidia drivers, obtained the latest ones on the nvida web site, but no the problem remains.

Only if I disable the graphics card or turn down the hardware acceleration do I get a screen that I can read.

However this means that I cannot use my graphics card which defeats having one in the first place.

With the graphics card enabled, I cannot even scroll through an email without the text going all fuzzy. In fact scrolling down threads on Scoobynet makes then unreadable.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.

I am running XP SP1, Athlon 64 FX53 processor, monitor is a 19" Sony TFT.
Old 08 October 2004, 08:17 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which exact nVidia drivers? Which version of DirectX? Which motherboard? And if the motherboard needs drivers (like VIA chipset ones), which chipset drivers?

Also, what was in the comp before you put the 6800 in? If it was an nVidia card, how did you remove (if at all) the old drivers?

M
Old 08 October 2004, 08:51 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Also how much power from PSU - 300w, 450, 550.

And as mentioned above did you fully delete the old drivers.
Old 08 October 2004, 09:34 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Sorry, the pc is brand new and came with the card already installed.

I've had the computer 3 weeks and at first noticed the odd line of text appearing fuzzy. Now it has got quite bad.

directX 9.0c

motherboard is Asus 8v Deluxe.
360W PSU

All drivers are as when I received the pc

I've been in touch with the manufacturer of the pc, still awaiting a reply. But wondered whether anyone could help if the proble was simple to fix.
Old 08 October 2004, 09:39 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Just tried the pc with a different monitor and the problem is still there.

Could it be a faulty graphics card? Or is it driver related?
Old 08 October 2004, 10:18 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seeing as its got worst, I reckon the gfx card is duff. You have warranty? get it changed. Quick fix would be to use another gfx card if u have one handy.

You could try removing the nvidia drivers properly, rebooting then reinstalling the latest ones again. It might be a sware issue.
Old 08 October 2004, 10:25 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

It's generally accepted that the 6800 requires at least a 480w psu, and they don't work well on anything less, (especially if you have several other devices in the system which are drawing power).

That sounds as though it may be related to the problem as when you ramp the hardware accelleration up, it uses more power. If it is a new machine, I can't imagine why they included such a weedy psu. What make is it?
Old 08 October 2004, 10:36 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
It's generally accepted that the 6800 requires at least a 480w psu, and they don't work well on anything less, (especially if you have several other devices in the system which are drawing power).

That sounds as though it may be related to the problem as when you ramp the hardware accelleration up, it uses more power. If it is a new machine, I can't imagine why they included such a weedy psu. What make is it?

The pc was bought from MESH
Old 08 October 2004, 10:38 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The power of the psu isnt the most important thing. If they used a high quality 360w psu then it should be fine. If its a cheapo then its not.
Old 08 October 2004, 10:44 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
The power of the psu isnt the most important thing. If they used a high quality 360w psu then it should be fine. If its a cheapo then its not.
True, but it's a Mesh PC so I suspect it's one of the cheaper variety.

Also, you can only get away with a lower power psu if you haven't got much else in the system. If you have a couple of hard discs, SB Audigy soundcard etc, these will draw a fair amount of power and leave the graphics card lacking. Without seeing the full system spec it's difficult to comment.

Of course it could just as easily be a faulty card in which case they should replace it for you (and quickly).

In any case, I think this does sound like a hardware problem rather than a driver problem...
Old 08 October 2004, 12:05 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

I do have a SB Audio card installed, along with a tv card. Both are working fine.
But as you say they may be taking up a lot of the power.

This screen is getting worse by the minute. I thought yesterday was bad but today, i cannot even make out the characters when I scroll. This seems to me to indicate a hardware problem rather than software. Do you agree?

The only way to make the pc seem normal is to set the hardware accelerator to none. Even a notch up and the problem returns.

The temp of the graphics chip is 54C by the way.

How do I go about trouble shooting my pc once the hardware accelerator is set to none. How can I bring the graphics card into the equation to test it out step by step?

Any help would be much appreciated and if you require any further info then let me know....

Thanks for all your help
Old 08 October 2004, 01:50 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Definitely sounds like a hardware failure...

54C is not too hot. My 6800GT often runs at around 60-70 with no problems.

As far as debugging goes, the only way I know of testing to see if it is the card would be to try another one in its place and see if you get the same problem.
Old 08 October 2004, 02:13 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Definitely sounds like a hardware failure...

54C is not too hot. My 6800GT often runs at around 60-70 with no problems.

As far as debugging goes, the only way I know of testing to see if it is the card would be to try another one in its place and see if you get the same problem.
I have an old GeForce card in my other pc. Might try that and see if the problem persists.
Old 08 October 2004, 02:29 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fast_Blue_Scooby
I have an old GeForce card in my other pc. Might try that and see if the problem persists.
That's what I'd do... Good luck....
Old 09 October 2004, 12:08 AM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
True....and a high quality 250W psu as found in shuttles will run one no problem.
Old 09 October 2004, 10:24 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R1916v
True....and a high quality 250W psu as found in shuttles will run one no problem.
It all depends on what else you've got in the system. If you've loads of devices which suck significant amounts of power then the 250w supply is going to be woefully inadequate...
Old 09 October 2004, 10:44 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6800 burnt out my 300w supply in about 10 minutes.

550w and it is solid running well overclocked.
Old 14 October 2004, 09:09 AM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Update.

Well I am almost certain it is my graphics card at fault.
The display has steadily got worse each day, so much so that random characters and graphics appear on the screen even when the screen is stationary. Scroll through a screen and you end up with thousands of dots all over the screen.

I tried running some of the nvidia demos for the 6800 GT last night. Oh dear!
Artefacts, broken up graphics, pc crashing all the time. Truly awful.

I tried to run some 3DMark tests on the pc. Crashed each and every time.

Now this is where I have a big problem with the company who supplied my pc.
I pointed this out to them last week, just 2 weeks since I started using the computer.

Now to begin with, you could hardly notice the graphic faults but over time it got worse and worse, so much so that I phoned them up to mention the fault last Friday. Well almost a week later and I am no further forward!
They are saying to me that I must pay £50 under warranty for them to fix my pc. I have refused to pay this £50 and have told them that they have supplied a faulty pc. I have mentioned that it may need a more powerful PSU, a new 6800 GT card etc.

I have tried everything to fix this problem, new drivers etc, research on the web. It all points to the fact that the graphics card has overheated and is bust.

Now all I want it them to collect my pc, fix it under warranty and get it working. However they are saying that because I did not highlight the problem to them in the first so many days, they are unaware that the problem was there to begin with. I have pointed out to them that the problem WAS there to begin with, it has just taken time for it to be noticed.
And oh yes you can certainly notice it now!!!

The fact that the pc's display is 100% worse than last Friday proves to me that eventually the card will fail completely. The card has steadily worsened over time to such an extent that the pc is unusable.

Now I paid a lot of money for the pc and as the pc is less than a month old, why should I pay an extra £50 to fix something that was there to begin with.
All I know is that when they receive the pc, I expect a big apology from them.

What should I do? Insist that they collect the pc and install a more powerful PSU, new graphics card and anything else is needed and refuse to pay the £50. As far as I am concerned they have supplied me with faulty goods and I refuse to accept the pc.

Where do I legally stand?

Thanks in advance for any help....
Old 14 October 2004, 09:50 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

If it's less than 30 days old, can't you return it as faulty goods and claim a full refund (part of your statutory rights or something like that)?
Old 14 October 2004, 09:21 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

If it's less than 30 days old, can't you return it as faulty goods and claim a full refund (part of your statutory rights or something like that)?

All sorted after some 'gentle' discussion!

PC is to be picked up and faulty hardware replaced.

The pc got so bad this afternoon, it started crashing every 20 mins.

Hopefully it all gets sorted and I will have a proper working pc very soon.

Mind you this old pc I am on, feels so much better, clear graphics, nice scrolling text and a graphics card that actually works!!!