Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

bit torrent download speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2004, 01:55 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bit torrent download speeds

just set up bit torrent. i have a NTL 750 broadband connection. i am getting 6-35 kB/s mostly around 15 (but is hard to tell cause always changing). is this the download speed i should expect?
looking on the forums all this port settings and firewall settings is beyond me
I presumme the green light people talk about is the green light under the health tab?
Is there any advice anybody could give to improve my use of bit torrent

Thanks
Michael
Old 05 October 2004, 02:01 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Your download speed is dependant on the amount of people available seeding the completed file and their upload speeds.
I've got 1Mb service and can get anything from 5kB/s to 100kB/s
Old 05 October 2004, 02:05 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Your download speed will depend on where the data is being uploaded from, if you are regularly getting 6-35 kbits then you're doing well.

Cheers.
Old 05 October 2004, 02:11 PM
Stueyb
Scooby Regular

You'll find thatas your pipes get bigger, you download quicker because your uploading loads more. My typical upload/download is approx 180/240. Dont forget though that NTL upload is capped at 250Kbits/S, whereas the leased pipe as above is 2Mb up and down.
Old 05 October 2004, 02:15 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

You might also have to open up ports 6868 - 6999 on your router (if you use one).
Old 05 October 2004, 02:26 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

i do use a D-Link DI-614+ wireless router. for the moment i will see how things go before changing ports(bit difficult for me and i will need to change my windows and router port settings i guess). glad to hear that 5-35 seems okay
thanks everyone. any more advice?
Michael
Old 05 October 2004, 02:49 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS
Old 05 October 2004, 02:54 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

All you are doing is opening up the ports above, easy peasy and it wont affect security or any other settings although I think you would have a very slow dl if the ports were a problem. FWIW I get between 45 - 80 (1mb down 250K up) with most DL's while uploading at 20 - 35'ish. You could also try another client such as Shadow which gives you far greater control.
Old 05 October 2004, 03:39 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Bit Tornado is also another client that offers more control over your DL/UL's.....
Old 05 October 2004, 05:37 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

its luck of the draw as to how fast peeps r uploading to u..

i can get ne thing from 5k - 117k, depending how popular the item is and as i say, how fast they upload.. also a good hacked client helps, one that doesnt need u to upload fast to download fast
Old 05 October 2004, 06:39 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Mystic any chance of explaining more on the hacked client to me aswell? you could pm me if you don'nt want to post

mike
Old 05 October 2004, 08:15 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

LOL u guys, u'll get me a bad name

If u go to http://bittornado.com, and dowload the program of the same name, u will get 'TheSHAD0W's EXPERIMENTAL BITTORRENT CLIENT'.

Cant say how it compares to other clients cos ive only ever used this chaps, but works great for me and i swear by it, as do many friends..

Basically what u can do is 'select' your connection speed and thus re-strick upload.. play with it, i dont know if it offically gets round the upload thing, but older versions did im told, and this one seems to work nice... cant say ive ever read the manual

Note:

I just leave mine on auto.. its nice to give peeps some band width as they give you, and i can often find im downloading faster even if my upload aint high.

It wont promise to give u super fast downloads either, after all its still restricted by other peeps uploads... also keep and eye on it, every once in a while if u got a few running (4/5/6), one might fall over and u'll need to end task it, and restart the download again (it will continue from where its left off in the same 'save as' location)

Last edited by mystic_magic; 05 October 2004 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05 October 2004, 08:17 PM
Gymbal
Scooby Regular

Sorry if hijacking but... my ISP throttles filesharing ports. If I change the ports in my firewall and in ABC, does anyone think it will work ps 0.2-15K (often the lower end)

Cheers
Old 05 October 2004, 08:19 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gymbal
Sorry if hijacking but... my ISP throttles filesharing ports. If I change the ports in my firewall and in ABC, does anyone think it will work ps 0.2-15K (often the lower end)

Cheers
u got adsl? change to nildram, no restrictions, monthly contract, free re-grade to them too ATM i believe..

cos tbh if u change ports ur end it might not work too well i dont think.. traffic wont know where its going
Old 05 October 2004, 08:48 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Gymbal (and others)

Shadow's is not a hacked client - it's just a good one.

Downloads are affected by 3 things (other than your own download speed):

1. Quality or peers
2. "network" restrictions IE firewall, ISP's etc
3. Impacting activities!

1. You will only be able to download quickly if the other peers are able to share bits of the file with you - they may already be using their upload feeding other peers - if this is the case, wait a while - do a few "Manual announces" (in shadows client) every 20 minutes or so.

2. I've changed my port range from the defaul 6XXX to a BIG range - 70000 - 80000 - doing this has 2 impacts a: ISP's won't be looking there b: it's a bigger range allowing to you connect to more peers.

3: With shadows client you are able to throttle your upload. If your connection is maxed out uploading data your download speed will suffer big time. My connection can only upload at about 25K - I throttle it in the client to 20K - giving some headroom for essential traffic to get through..

Anyway - just my 2c
Old 05 October 2004, 09:27 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

2. I've changed my port range from the defaul 6XXX to a BIG range - 70000 - 80000 - doing this has 2 impacts a: ISP's won't be looking there b: it's a bigger range allowing to you connect to more peers
You could have 60k+ concurrent peer connections with a single TCP port.

And I'm intrigued how you 70,000 to 80,000 open. TCP port number is only a 16-bit number....

Deano

Last edited by dsmith; 05 October 2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05 October 2004, 11:50 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

If you want use your full bandwidth for downloading (e.g research, or legal stuff of course ) you'll have to pay for newsgroups or I use mIRC which I mostly get good speeds (usually 50-116kb/s with 1MB connection) but you need to be patient/queue but no need to upload that way.
Old 06 October 2004, 08:19 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

sorry 50k - 60k

I thought once a firewalled client hooks on to one of your open ports that's it?
Old 06 October 2004, 08:31 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

It does depend on available seeds, and also your upload rate - if you strangle your UL rate then this will impact your DL rate. (Open to correction here though )

I have a 512k ADSL connection, and I regularly get speeds in the mid 50's, but then I leave my torrents open so that others can upload from me, and at least a 1:1 ratio (seems only fair )

Had my ADSL connection about 3 weeks now and I can tell you that for the XBOX :

Burnout 3 - AWESOME
Juiced - NOT awesome
Dukes of Hazzard:return of the general lee - I know I know, but I really wanted this to be good !!! It isn't.
Fifa 2005 - Still getting used to it, but ok
Pro Evo 4 - I'll let you know tomorrow

My ADSL is with Pipex.

Cheers

Matt
PS. For those morally white as the driven snow, if it's a good game then I buy it. If it's not any good, then I won't pay £30-£40 for it.
Old 06 October 2004, 09:07 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

so you have bought burnout 3 yea?>
Old 06 October 2004, 09:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

>PS. For those morally white as the driven snow, if it's a good game then I buy it. If >it's not any good, then I won't pay £30-£40 for it.

Although I'm sure that makes you feel better, you're still a thief. Demo disks are available in your local newsagent. I'm in no way an angel, but bragging about criminal activitys on a public bulletin board should be discouraged.
Old 06 October 2004, 09:28 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Yup, Burnout 3 ordered.

Demo disks of games are usually pre-production and as such don't always give a true reflection of the games quality. I've actually played demos of games and thought 'what a load of ......', then played the final release and changed my opinion. If my purchasing was based on demo disks, the developers WOULD lose out.

I'm happy with my stance, and care not for others views. I have a frikkin' cupboard full of games I've paid full dollar for that weren't worth it, despite 'rave reviews' etc. So I definitely 'try before I buy'.

And besides, where's the pic of the skull and cross bones ?

Matt
Old 06 October 2004, 02:38 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the comments. for over a day NTL has been down (thought i had reached my download limit) but just had to reboot and now working okay
Thanks again
Old 06 October 2004, 04:09 PM
Bigwood
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with Juiced?
Old 06 October 2004, 09:35 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

If you are using an external router, make sure you forward the ports 6880 -6899 to the IP address that your PC is using on the local network (run IPCONFIG from command prompt to find this out). This bumped my speeds on a loaded torrent from 5kb/s max, up to >50kb/s.

Although it was up high previously, I had strangely low download speeds for a while then remebered I had replaced a faulty video card. New card = new IP address via DHCP from the router as it thinks it's a new machine. Re-forwarded the ports to the new IP address and speeds back up to 50 again

Joolz
Old 06 October 2004, 11:37 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbryant
If you are using an external router, make sure you forward the ports 6880 -6899 to the IP address that your PC is using on the local network (run IPCONFIG from command prompt to find this out). This bumped my speeds on a loaded torrent from 5kb/s max, up to >50kb/s.

Although it was up high previously, I had strangely low download speeds for a while then remebered I had replaced a faulty video card. New card = new IP address via DHCP from the router as it thinks it's a new machine. Re-forwarded the ports to the new IP address and speeds back up to 50 again

Joolz
im sorry, but changing a video card does not make a router think ur pc is all of a sudden different
Old 07 October 2004, 09:19 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Question

Could he be thinking about Windoze XP activation, i.e. a new vid card needs re-activating. Mind you I doubt even a small change like that would require activation.

Old 07 October 2004, 10:13 AM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Could he be thinking about Windoze XP activation, i.e. a new vid card needs re-activating. Mind you I doubt even a small change like that would require activation.

a new video card is not enough to cause re-activation, it needs to be something a bit more major, like a reinstall (of course) or a new mobo..

but either way none of thats going to get you a new IP form the router.

depending how its set up, ie. the address is a dhcp, a simple reboot would possibly get the machine a new address.. if u use a fixed address it doesnt matter wot u change u can use that fixed address again.

Quick Reply: bit torrent download speeds