Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Saving sent emails Outlook Express & Win ME

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2004, 01:43 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saving sent emails Outlook Express & Win ME

Hi all,

For some strange reason Outlook Express is no longer saving my sent emails!! I have checked the box in the options menu and it is ticked to save outgoing mail.
I had probs with my modem over the past week and have installed/uninstalled many different drivers to try tnd sort the issues, which I think are now sorted. Anyway maybe it was this that upset Outlooks settings? Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon.
Old 05 October 2004, 05:39 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clubscene
Hi all,

For some strange reason Outlook Express is no longer saving my sent emails!! I have checked the box in the options menu and it is ticked to save outgoing mail.
I had probs with my modem over the past week and have installed/uninstalled many different drivers to try tnd sort the issues, which I think are now sorted. Anyway maybe it was this that upset Outlooks settings? Any help greatly appreciated.

Simon.
cant think of ne thing off hand, try reinstalling IE, cos that incorperate OE.
Old 05 October 2004, 06:12 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

more info here might help you off MS

OLEXP: Sent Messages May Not Be Saved in the Sent Items Folder
Applies To
This article was previously published under Q184059
For information about the differences between Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook e-mail clients, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express

SYMPTOMS
When you send a message, a copy of the message may not be saved in the Sent Items folder, and you may not receive an error message.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur for any of the following reasons:

The "Save copy of sent messages in the Sent Items folder" option may not be selected.
-or-

The Sent Items folder may be damaged.
-or-

The system clock is not set correctly.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method for your situation.
Select the "Save copy of sent messages in Sent Items folder" Option
To configure Outlook Express to save a copy of your messages in the Sent Items folder, follow these steps:

Start Outlook Express.
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Send tab.
Click to select the Save copy of sent messages in the Sent Items folder check box.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
Create a New Folder for Sent Items
If you have already configured Outlook Express to save a copy of sent messages in the Sent Items folder, move the messages in the Sent Items folder to a new folder that you create, and then rename the Sent Items folder files.

To create a new folder for the messages in the Sent Items folder, follow these steps:

Start Outlook Express.
Click the folder in which you want the new folder to be created, or click Outlook Express located at the top of the folder list.
On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click New Folder.
Type the name of the new folder in the Folder Name box, and then click OK.
Move the messages from the Sent Items folder to a different folder, and then rename the Sent Items folder files. To do this, follow these steps:

Move the messages in the Sent Items folder to the folder you created. To do this, follow these steps:
In Outlook Express, click the Sent Items folder, and then click Select All on the Edit menu.
Right-click the selected messages, click Move To, and then click the folder that you created.
Click OK.
Quit Outlook Express.
Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files Or Folders.
In the Named box, type sent items.idx. In the Look In list, click drive C, and then click Find Now.
Right-click the Sent Items.idx file that corresponds to the profile that exhibits this behavior, and then click Rename. For example, type sent Items.xdi to rename the file.
In the Named box, type sent Items.xdi, in the Look In list, click drive C, and then click Find Now.
Right-click the Sent Items.mbx file that corresponds to the profile exhibiting this issue, and then click Rename. For example, type Sent Items.xbm to rename the file.
Close the Find dialog box.
Start Outlook Express.
A new Sent Items folder is automatically created.
Move the messages from the folder you created to the new Sent Items folder. To do this, follow these steps:
In Outlook Express, click the folder that you created, and then click Select All on the Edit menu.
Right-click the selected messages, click Move To, and then click the Sent Items folder. Click OK.
Reset Your System Clock
Inaccurate system date and time can cause your messages to be saved with the incorrect date and time. Depending upon the view you have chosen for your Sent Items, mail that was sent this month could show up in last months view.

To reset your system clock:
In the status bar, (located at the lower right corner of your screen) double-click the time.
In the Date and Time Properties window, click the hour or minute, and then type the correct time.
Under Date, click the correct date.
Click OK.
You do not need to restart your computer.
Old 05 October 2004, 06:29 PM
Clubscene
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies folks! It was the date set wrong on the system clock that was causing the prob, cheers Nick.

Simon.