Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC seems to freeze

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2004, 04:37 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PC seems to freeze

My parents PC has started to play up.

It does a few different things

1) It will load up, things seem to be running ie, it tells you its connected the wireless connection. But the mouse and keyboard fail to work and putting a different keyboard and mouse in doesnt work. I can push the power button and it will power down so the system is running.

2) Windows loads up and the desktop is shown, everything works for a min or so, then it freezes. again the keyboard doesnt work and neither does the mouse.

3) loads up, works for a bit, then everything becomes slow, for example i will move the mouse and it takes ages to respond. but nothing is running, just the desktop.

Theres nothing really on the machine. they use it to surf the web and emails. I ran spyware software which brought some up but didnt fix the problem.

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 01 October 2004, 04:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Could be a dodgy ram chip, or even overheating (I've seen similar symptoms on another machine). Try removing the chips and reseating them, and also cleaning out the case (using blown air) to remove the dust build up etc....
Old 01 October 2004, 04:46 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like a graphics card problem or RAM

Can you try any blind operations? Something that will make a sound. Do you have a volume **** on your keyboard that you could turn up to the max to get that ping sound?

This will tell you if the machine is working in the background still, if you hear a sound then its alive really, just your gpu isn't keeping up.
Old 03 October 2004, 12:53 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

Could it be anything else?

I just had a looked at it, it booted up fine and tried to use the mouse but it didnt work.

The PC was fine and the keyboard worked fine.

changed the mouse and still didnt work. Could it be the motherboard? ie, the connections for the keyboard and mouse failing?
Old 03 October 2004, 01:21 PM
Recaro
Scooby Regular

also found out. that when it boots up it used to do one beep. now it goes mad and plays a tune pretty much.

this to me says ram. am i correct?
Old 03 October 2004, 05:00 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Recaro
also found out. that when it boots up it used to do one beep. now it goes mad and plays a tune pretty much.

this to me says ram. am i correct?
Sounds to me like you do have a ram chip issue... as alrwady suggested try removing the ram chip sand resetting and cleaning out the case at the same time.. Also check the temperature of the PC by going into the bios and checking running temp. If it is above 43 start to worry. You might need more fans in the PC. Bascially when the PC gets to hot the compoenents just stop working and the PC lockes up, and sometimes resets itself. A common fault and usually caused by poor fans/lack of fans to cool it down.
J
Old 04 October 2004, 12:28 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mine sits @ about 50 degrees most of the time