Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

"Digital" video camera / transferring to PC

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2004, 01:48 PM
Numptie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Digital" video camera / transferring to PC

Hi,

Dumb question - please don't flame me.

I borrowed a "digital" video camera recently. Although it's termed "digital" it records on to those little tapes.

I now have some in-car footage from an event I competed in recently and I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer the film to a file on the PC that Media Player or the like could play.

The camera has what looks like a mini-USB socket. I'll have a look in the box tonight to see if there's a cable that fits.

OK, so I'm thinking that if I had the right software, I could connect the camera to the PC, play the film and the PC would accept the feed and convert it into the right sort of file.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

N
Old 20 September 2004, 02:18 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Numptie
borrowed a "digital" video camera recently. Although it's termed "digital" it records on to those little tapes.
Those tapes will be digital tapes, (probably mini-dv).

The camera has what looks like a mini-USB socket. I'll have a look in the box tonight to see if there's a cable that fits.
It's probably a firewire socket. All you need is a lead to go between that and the firewire socket on the pc, and some software to capture the video.

If you haven't got a firewire socket, then you can get a card to add them to your pc for only a few quid. As for software, if you only want basic capture stuff, then you \can use Windows Movie Maker (it's free).

Just hit record in the software, the camera should automatically start playing back, and the pc will record the video. Very easy to do

Iain
Old 20 September 2004, 02:44 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Also worth noting you will need plenty of disc space on your PC for the footage.
Old 20 September 2004, 03:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mogsi
Also worth noting you will need plenty of disc space on your PC for the footage.
Yep, a 60min Min-DV tape captured at full Digital quality will create at least a 15GB avi file.

Stefan