Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Router problem

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2004, 10:29 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Router problem

Hi all u networky/router guru's. Just testing the water here before i spend ages tunnelling the web.

Have a problem with a Linksys wireless ADSL 54g router , the WAG54G.

I support remote home working users, and came across a funny glitch with the router they use.
A guy call up an says cant receive email when tunneling into company network with vpn client.

I do the usual, see if web is seen ok via router, yep no probs , do a speed test from dslreports as well. All fine.

Problem happens when outlook tries to sync from offline mail or when connected to server. Its like someones squuezed the bandwidth to nowt.

Have tried allsorts by now, is there a problem with vpn in general, or probs with mail server, blah blah.
Eventually reset the router to factory defaults, and set it up for user again, and bloody marvelous it works as advertised and mail comes streaming in.

Sorry for war and peace, but does anyone know what settings i can alter on router to prevent this ?? Have about 50 users on these routers....and only lil ole me.

Ta like
Glenn
Old 19 September 2004, 12:32 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Must ensure the MTU size is set to 1500 on most ADSL connections.. sometimes it defaults to 1492 or some other strange number.. always try 1500.. we had similar problems accessing a Lotus Notes server.. things works, but slowly and then started to time out..
Old 19 September 2004, 10:06 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Is he trying to connect to a mail server outside the tunnel? I have a similar problem where a user cannot collect mail from a local email server when tunnelling out to one of our clients network
Old 19 September 2004, 04:10 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

"Must ensure the MTU size is set to 1500 on most ADSL connections.. sometimes it defaults to 1492 or some other strange number.. always try 1500.. we had similar problems accessing a Lotus Notes server.. things works, but slowly and then started to time out.."
Not sure what it was before...but default is 1500

"Is he trying to connect to a mail server outside the tunnel? I have a similar problem where a user cannot collect mail from a local email server when tunnelling out to one of our clients network"
Cannot see server outside vpn (or if vpn not connected) = no ping...When wasnt working, u could connect to vpn, outlook would connect, but that was it. Good ping as well.
Tried extra dns setting , host file with mail server ip's in as well.
Deffo the router causing it, not vpn. Soon as factory defaults set....away an running.
But maybe vpn settings in router need looking at.
Ta all
Old 20 September 2004, 11:13 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Have investigated MTU settings on router. It does indeed make a massive difference.
Web browsing appears to work ok, but mail sync falls over at 1450 or below, with associated sync errors.
Left it at 1500, hunky dory.
Just looked at some company legacy instructions for setting up router, quote to set MTU to 1400, now binned.