Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Linksys kit and VPNs

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2004, 03:48 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linksys kit and VPNs

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if I can improve the security of my network at home. I've got a Linksys WAG54 by the phone point, with a wireless bridge connecting the hardwired segment of the network. It's WEP-encrypted but, as we all know, WEP isn't particularly secure. Can I use a VPN channel to secure communication between my two network segments?

Available kit...
1 * WAG54
1 * WET11
1 * BEFSX41
1 * WAP11
... plus loads of patch leads.

I'm hoping that someone here's used the VPN facilities of the WAG54 & BEFSX41, 'cos I'm a lazy bugger when it comes to reading instructions . Are these boxes merely able to pass VPNs through them, or can they create the VPNs themselves?

cheers!
Old 16 September 2004, 04:02 PM
ellisg
Scooby Regular

If youve got the original WAG54G model 1.0 either get your money back or throw in the bin. there is a new 1.2 model out, the original doesn't work very well if at all

WAG54g supports 5 vpn connections via the box not pass thru. It also supports WPA protected wireless.
WAP11 only supports WEP.
You can add MAC address matching for extra protection but I gather you want to support either a secure wireless or VPN over wireless. Best option is WPA, Linksys don't do VPN over wireless, Vigors do.
Old 16 September 2004, 04:21 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Hi ellisg! No, the WAG54 is brand spanking new, so I hope and assume it's the newest available.

Yeah, I noticed the WPA references but I gather that's only available to 802.11g kit (not 802.11b), right?

I'm already MAC-filtering, SSID-broadcast is 'off'. Linksys don't do VPN over wireless? That sounds a bit daft! I presume the Linksys VPNs are only actually to be used for remote access to remote locations.

I'd need to replace my 802.11b bridge with a 802.11g bridge to use WPA, I guess? My real objective isn't to set up a VPN, it's to secure the wireless link better than WEP/MAC/SSID can give me.
Old 17 September 2004, 07:46 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Just checked the box and it's a v1.2
Old 17 September 2004, 11:50 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Do you really need VPN over wireless? TBH WEP is fine for home users because it would take a hacker xxx amount of data to capture to break the encryption key. By that time you would of noticed someone dead outside your house cos they starved to death while waiting for data to pass through your home network. If you transfer Gig's of data (most home users do not) then consider WPA-PSK TKIP.

If you work for national security then your minimum requirement is WPA-AES-802.1x with VPN 3DES and sniffer dog for detecting explosives
Old 17 September 2004, 02:42 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

No, I don't *need* VPN over wireless. I'm just trying to improve the security of the wireless link over that which WEP/SSID/MAC can provide. I'm a homeworker, so some of my content is 'business'. A VPN was simply an idea of how to achieve that additional security. The data volume that would need to be 'sniffed' was alarmingly small! The only alternative I've seen so far is to purchase an 802.11g bridge (to replace my existing -b bridge) to enable use of WPA. I'm just trying to make smarter use of the kit I already have.
Old 17 September 2004, 07:23 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only company I'm aware off who do IPSec VPN (DES,3DES, AES256 etc) over wireless are....SonicWALL which they're SonicPoints and the TZ170W which are a,b & g devices.